starting sg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocknhardcider

Reaction score
Hey guys can someone help me figure out my sg. I did the intial reading of just juice which was 1.51 then added 3lbs or 600g of sugar. Also another batch was just 2lbs? So what would the overall be for the starting? Oh in a 5 gallon carboy

Hey guys can someone help me figure out my sg. I did the intial reading of just juice which was 1.51 then added 3lbs or 600g of sugar. Also another batch was just 2lbs? So what would the overall be for the starting? Oh in a 5 gallon carboy

Divide your sugar amount by 5 (need to convert to 1 gallon for the chart), use this chart, and add the value to the juice OG.

Using rounded math, the 3lbs sugar divided by 5 comes to 0.6lbs or 10oz. On the chart look down the sugar to gal column and find a number close to 10oz. Follow the chart to the left to find the SG. It should be 1.030. Add that to 1.051 and you get 1.080.

I'll let you do the 2# sugar calculation. :D

It's so much easier to use the hydrometer though. Just dip it back in the juice after you added the sugar and stirred well and take another reading. It's a good way to check your math though. :rockin:

Back