Starting my kegerator cabinet (Sanyo 4912)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
So since I like building things and SWMBO thinks my Sanyo could look better, I've decided to build something like this...

KegKabFraziersOAK.JPG

Has anyone done this before? I am looking for any tips or tricks out there. I was just gonna approach it like building a standard cabinet. I will slip the top peice over the tower instead of attaching the tower to the top peice. My main concern is being able to easily get kegs in and out of the Sanyo. Any thoughts?

just build a cabinet around the fridge and have the fridge kinda propped up so the bottom of the cabinet is even with the bottom of the fridge. Then you just open the doors then open the fridge behind it, shouldn't be hard to get the kegs in then...

I've been thinking of building some sort of wall unit with shelving and cabinets to go with mine as well. Keep in mind you need to ventilate the inside of the cabinet somehow, the fridge will generate a lot of heat. I was going to make mine more as a surround than a full cabinet for this reason.

bradsul said:
I've been thinking of building some sort of wall unit with shelving and cabinets to go with mine as well. Keep in mind you need to ventilate the inside of the cabinet somehow, the fridge will generate a lot of heat. I was going to make mine more as a surround than a full cabinet for this reason.

I was thinking of leaving the back off of it since it'll be against the wall anyway. But what about when regular fridges are enclosed? Do they not have heat issues?

SubZero_Refrigerator_3L.jpg

Those fridges are designed to vent properly with all the sides enclosed. I think most of the small fridges actually radiate heat from the sides (I know the sides of my Sylvania are what get hot). It's probably the kind of thing a simple little exhaust fan could take care of (maybe a pair of 80mm computer fans or something, one exhaust, one intake).

bradsul said:
Those fridges are designed to vent properly with all the sides enclosed. I think most of the small fridges actually radiate heat from the sides (I know the sides of my Sylvania are what get hot). It's probably the kind of thing a simple little exhaust fan could take care of (maybe a pair of 80mm computer fans or something, one exhaust, one intake).

What about louvered side panels?

Soulive said:
I will slip the top peice over the tower instead of attaching the tower to the top peice. My main concern is being able to easily get kegs in and out of the Sanyo. Any thoughts?

I didn't build a cabinet around my 4912, but I was about 5 minutes away from doing it. If you leave the back open and a few inches around the sides you'll probably be OK. As you mentioned you could put louvers in the sides to help even more.

One thing to think about with slipping the top over the tower is that you will lose the thickness of the top in room beneath your faucets. That may or may not be a problem, but you might want to measure just to be sure you can still fit your favorite glass.

Another option if you haven't already started would be to set aside the plastic top that comes with the 4912 and lay your cabinet top directly on the top of the body of the fridge. It would be just as easy to mount your tower to the cabinet that way it would be rock solid and it would probably look more "finished" than having a hole cut in an slipping it over. That was what I was going to do until I got impatient and skipped the cabinet.

This is the start of the design I was thinking of for mine. Obviously there are no real details yet. I'm after a nice wall unit I can keep all my glasses in (wine and beer) as well as my beer knick-knacks. I was thinking of making some cabinet doors to go on the left and right upper openings. I'm leaning towards wine racks in the lower left and right cupboards.

For kegerator health I've left a 0.5" gap between the kegerator sides and the cabinet and 0.25" between the top of the kegerator and the counter top.

My next project is to figure out how to do all the nice edgework in google sketchup to make this stuff look like more than boxes glued together. :)

kegerator_wall_unit.png

Thanks guys. Sluggo, I agree that I will need to watch how much room I lose under the faucets. As for buying a base cabinet, I'd probably still have to mod it since they usually have drawers. If it would be roughly the same price, I'd be willing to do that. I just don't think there will be anything big enough for less than about $250...

This seems to be a forum favorite around here and im getting into kegging.

Does anyone know if there has to be a minimum clearance on the back and sides?

Also, how big of a co2 tank can you fit if you have 2 kegs (corny) inside of it?

I have a perfect spot that i build it in to my cabinets. That is based off of best buys dimensions. Does any know if these are correct?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=2&id=1099397015586#productdetail

I will probably end up measuring it though.

Back