Starting my first hop addition ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsigmon1103

Reaction score
So this is my first attempt at hopping. Brewing a Hefeweizen and just started the 60 min boil.:rockin: While enjoying a nice witbier

Hefeweizen Boil.jpg

Sam Adams Black Berry Witbier.jpg

Get it!

I'm going to be doing my 1st hopping(2nd homebrew) next week (depending on crappy mail system), Looking foward to stepping up and adding a little pizzaz from these barebone coopers kits. Gotta keep on improving!!

Get it!

I'm going to be doing my 1st hopping(2nd homebrew) next week (depending on crappy mail system), Looking foward to stepping up and adding a little pizzaz from these barebone coopers kits. Gotta keep on improving!!
Thats what im talking about. this is my third batch. I'm using DME this time and Hops, but keeping it simple with a Hefe.

So this is my first attempt at hopping. Brewing a Hefeweizen and just started the 60 min boil.:rockin: While enjoying a nice witbier

Lookin' good, man!

Make sure you have plenty of room in that fermentor for that hefeweizen yeast to breathe. Those guys can be nasty.

Lookin' good, man!

Make sure you have plenty of room in that fermentor for that hefeweizen yeast to breathe. Those guys can be nasty.
Now that you said that, im worried. I'm Mr. beer-ing it. I filled it just above the 8.5 quart line that Mr. beer Directions tell you to. ( trying to get maybe one or two more beers.) Of course i didnt use a MR.beer Recipe, but still.

Now i have a question. I just pitched the yeast. After getting some opinions from other brewers i pitched around 63 degrees. The wheat yeast seam to just fall to the bottom. Is this because wheat yeast is a "bottom feeder" or did i do something incorrectly? Not asking this question directly at you brewski, but feel free to add your 2 cents.

hm, i'm not much of an expert with mr. beer, and i've only did 2-3 extract batches. take my advice for what it's worth.

your yeast sounds fine. those little yeast buggers are tougher than you think, and it takes a lot of messing with them to make them turn down a meal. as long as you've provided them with a nice sugary meal and a reasonable temperature (which you did), you'll be fine!

i'm guessing you used a hefeweizen yeast strain for your hefeweizen. these guys tend to be a little more violent than their other yeast cousins. because of this, you may want to use a blow off tube if your fermenter allows it in order to prevent a mess. if you are unable to do so, just make sure all that CO2 has a reasonable way to get out of your fermentor.

you'll be fine. sounds like you have good temperature control.

hm, i'm not much of an expert with mr. beer, and i've only did 2-3 extract batches. take my advice for what it's worth.

your yeast sounds fine. those little yeast buggers are tougher than you think, and it takes a lot of messing with them to make them turn down a meal. as long as you've provided them with a nice sugary meal and a reasonable temperature (which you did), you'll be fine!

i'm guessing you used a hefeweizen yeast strain for your hefeweizen. these guys tend to be a little more violent than their other yeast cousins. because of this, you may want to use a blow off tube if your fermenter allows it in order to prevent a mess. if you are unable to do so, just make sure all that CO2 has a reasonable way to get out of your fermentor.

you'll be fine. sounds like you have good temperature control.

I did not use hefeweizen yeast, i dont think. i used safbrew WB-06. As far as a blow off tub. I checked the ferm this morning and am starting to see krausen so, thats a good sign. The meal should be plenty sugary, i used 2lb 2.6oz of DME. in a 2 gallon batch. As for the blow off tube, the Ferm for MR. Beer has 2 air release notches in the screw lid.

THanks for your response

A blow off tube is meant to control the extra foam produced during fermentation.

If there is more foam than the headspace in the fermenter can hold it will escape. It can clog an airlock until the pressure builds enough to blow the top off, then you are washing your ceiling.

On a carboy or bucket you attach a hose that then leads to a jar half filled with sanitized water. The water acts as an airlock and the extra space in the jar is a place for the foam to collect. I suggest putting the jar in a bucket in case the foam overflows the jar.

Latest posts

Back