Starting gravity of a Russian Imperial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
Just took an OG reading and it's 1.090. I'm thinking it's too thick. I wasn't able to find a source online of a typical RIS original gravity. My recipe I'm sort of using doesn't list it either. Thanks!

Just took an OG reading and it's 1.090. I'm thinking it's too thick. I wasn't able to find a source online of a typical RIS original gravity. My recipe I'm sort of using doesn't list it either. Thanks!

You're good. I am personally in the sub 9% ABV RIS camp.

Mine started at 1.101. I wouldn't describe it as thick. I would say it was very strong. It was also oaked quite heavily. About 10.6% ABV.

According to the BJCP 2015 the range is 1.075 to 1.115 so you are good...but who cares what the standard is if it's not going to a contest. LOL

I think that's a perfectly acceptable range especially considering I see a lot of folks try to push the boundaries to make a really giant RIS. Both are fine, but the bigger the beer the more time it needs to condition. I'm impatient so I usually aim for around 1.095 OG, 1.020-1.025 FG. it doesn't need nearly as much aging time to come around. I can make it in september and have it ready to drink by xmas.

Back