Starter Wort Days Prior To Pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
So I am making a starter for a 1.083 DIPA and I thought that making the second step of wort ahead of time then chilling it could save me time this week. Now I'm second guessing, based on what I have read.

I made 2L of wort, chilled, then put into a sanitized 1 gallon jug with a sanitized lid. In the fridge.

Then made another 1.7L starter that I have on the stirplate now.

Question is...is there any downfall/issues with the wort in the fridge right now? I was going to use this as the second step of the starter in a few days, which will mean that the wort in the fridge will be sitting for 3 days. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Wort is in the fridge with no yeast in it? No you can't use that, maybe if you boil it again, but I wouldn't. Very inviting for bacteria.

I've done this for a long time with no issues. Usually I'll make all the wort I'll need for every step and just keep it in sanitized quart mason jars. They'll sit in the fridge until I'm ready to use them.

So when you put it in the jars, was it still boiling/hot? I cooled mine down bc I was worried putting very hot liquid in the cheap jug would create stress cracks or the like.

Although the wort in the fridge is probably OK as is, I would re-boil it before use, for all security. You boil it in a stainless kitchen pot, right? Then cover (sanitized lid, Al foil, or so) to keep sanitary, and place in a sink or small tub with some cold water. Refresh water once or twice, and add some ice packs. It will be cooled down after an hour or less.

You're right, don't pour boiling or even hot wort or water into glass jugs, they'll crack.

So the reboil should hopefully knock out any nasties? I boiled it in my flask then transferred. Now that my flask has the 1st step in it, I'll have to boil in the pot. Given that though, I guess I should just boil my additional steps on the day of instead of making ahead of time, since I'm already boiling this a second time. Right?

I've been making 2 gallons of starter wort at a time and canning it in mason jars for about a year with no ill effects. It is a added risk but it gives me a little more freedom but a case of botulism could make for a really bad time. You can look up pressure canning if its something you want to look in to.

I've been making 2 gallons of starter wort at a time and canning it in mason jars for about a year with no ill effects. It is a added risk but it gives me a little more freedom but a case of botulism could make for a really bad time. You can look up pressure canning if its something you want to look in to.

I think that's what I'll do in the future to help mitigate the risk of infection.

The only pot I have big enough is one I routinely cook in. I'm a bit weird about cross-use of equipment, but for a starter, is there any downfall to this?

If you're pressure canning them under 15psi, then that risk is basically non-existent. Hold you jars of starter wort under 15psi in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes, and it's sterile. Not sanitized. Sterile. No worries about botulism or anything else unhealthy at that point...

So when you put it in the jars, was it still boiling/hot? I cooled mine down bc I was worried putting very hot liquid in the cheap jug would create stress cracks or the like.

It maybe cools covered for 10 minutes or so but for the most part the wort goes in hot. Then I seal tightly and then cool the jars in a water bath.

Latest posts

Back