Starter Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
My wife bought me a starter kit that only uses one stage fermentation. I am thinking of switching to, two stage fermentation. (My second batch came out tasting pretty bad)

What do I need to do two stage fermentation?
What steps do I do different in making the beer in two stage fermentation?

Thanks

You need another fermenter for the secondary fermentation...go with a 5 gal glass carboy...and a stopper and airlock for it. Also a racking cane if you don't already have one.

The only thing you do different is, after the main part of the fermentation is complete (3 to 7 days), you siphon out of the primary into the secondary, pop the airlock/stopper on there, and let it sit until it clears (couple weeks).

Clay, what's "pretty bad"? and what type of kits are you working from? Buying the pre-boiled wort in say, a Brewhouse, Festa, or Barons kit, and just handling the fermentation yourself, will tell you if the problems you are having are related to the fermentation stage (which is to say, are either temperature or contamination oriented problems).

I've got the Brewers Best starter kits. I had made Scotch Ale.
I'm not good at explaining tastes. Its got a real strong aftertaste that you can feel in your month and your throat after you drink it.

Great name.
(His name is my name too...)

Glad to see you're looking into two stage. Although I am new and newbish, I do have a strange piece of advice: when you get your glass carboy, cover it. Many of us forget that beer is vulnerably to light even while fermenting.I just did and am kicking myself.

Back