Started my first brew a week ago, just moved to secondary... what is next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay_J

Reaction score
A week ago, I started my first ever homebrew using one gallon of store bought honeycrisp cider. I used about a third of a 5g packet of SAF104 Ale/Beer yeast. I started it on 8/10/22 and moved it to a secondary on 8/17/22 due to the fact that the bubbling had stopped. The initial gravity was 1.050 and after a week it was at 1.000. It tasted dry and kind of watery, but I could definitely taste the apple in it as well. I have read that ciders ferment dry, so I figure everything thus far is going smoothly.

I have a few questions regarding what steps I should take next. How long should I let it sit in the secondary before bottling? How will time in the secondary alter the flavor? What does letting it sit in the secondary achieve? If the fermentation is complete, why do you not just bottle immediately and add the non-fermentables?

secondary fermentation clarifies the brew. I usually let the fermenters rest 10 days each but checking the SG/FG will give you insight too.

I usually let my ciders bulk age in the carboys for 4-5 months. During that time is usually clears on its own. I have found that 6 months total aging improves the flavor.

Honeycrisp apples are low on acid. You might try adding a little acid blend or even better, malic acid, to a sample to see how you like the flavor. Get the taste where you want it before you bottle, because once it is in the bottles you are done making changes.

Back