Started my first Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatooedsn

Reaction score
This is not my first beer I've brewed, but I don't recall the extent of foam I'm seeing in this batch. It started fermenting last night right after adding the yeast. I've lost about 10% of my beer through the air lock. I think I need a 6 gal carboy to make 5 gal of this batch of goodness.

Anyone else with similar experiences with the foaming?

Krausen?Yes.You need more headspace than that for a healthy fermentation.Especially in a big beer like that.

Yeah, a barleywine is going to put a LOT of foam through your airlock.

You should rig up a blow off tube until the sucker settles down a little.

Damn this batch came out tasty! I see future batches of this brew coming to my carboy. Lesson learned though, I lost about a gallon out of the airlock.

This is not my first beer I've brewed, but I don't recall the extent of foam I'm seeing in this batch. It started fermenting last night right after adding the yeast. I've lost about 10% of my beer through the air lock. I think I need a 6 gal carboy to make 5 gal of this batch of goodness.

Anyone else with similar experiences with the foaming?

What size is your carboy?

You should be using at least a 6 gallon carboy if you want to get 5 gallons of beer.

Eric

its a 5 gallon. I use to have a 6 years back, but got left behind someplace. I'm thinking I'll have to get a new one. Thanks all for your replies.

Back