Starsan shelf life in the bottle + Old equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitrael

Reaction score
Getting back into brewing after taking a few years off from the hobby.

1. How long can I use the same old bottle of Starsan (unmixed)? Would the bottle I bought in 2012 still be, erm, potent?

2. I'm about to brew on equipment that's been in a basement for 2 years, so I'm going to clean it very thoroughly. Is there anything I should just give up on and re-buy? Vinyl tubes perhaps?

Starsan concentrate will not change with time. Vinyl tubing loses flexibility, therefore the ability to form a good seal. The tubing should be replaced. PBW would be a good cleaner for all your equipment. Dismantle all the small pieces for a thorough cleaning.

Don't forget to pull the tip from the bottling wand to clean the individual parts. The spigot on bottling bucket should be taken apart also.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up on the tubing, hadn't even thought about it becoming brittle.

Cheers from Milwaukee!

I quit for 7 years. The only thing I replaced was tubing.

Undiluted StarSan should be good for many years.

I might consider replacing any plastic fermenter or bottling bucket you might have...

I wouldn't replace anything unless it was obviously/visually needing replacement. Good cleaning and then brew away.

I might consider replacing any plastic fermenter or bottling bucket you might have...

I'm still using HDPE fermenters I bought 35 years ago. They are great, and I haven't found anything better to replace them with. Why would taking a break from the hobby would make a fermenter non-usable.

Good sanitation is a given.

I'm still using HDPE fermenters I bought 35 years ago. They are great, and I haven't found anything better to replace them with. Why would taking a break from the hobby would make a fermenter non-usable.

Good sanitation is a given.

I know a lot of times in my household, when something goes out of commission, it tends to collect things. Recently, I had a few grain buckets left outside after use and SWMBO decided they would make excellent holders for other things she collected around the yard... Scratched plastic can harbor baddies. But if you've got the lock and control of your brew things, make it happen. :rockin:

As long as they're in good shape, clean & sanitize everything. Clean/sanitize the spigots separately & clean /sanitize mounting hole too. Tubing is cheap, so just replace them at lowe's or Home depot. They have it in bulk. I'm still finishing the bottle of Starsan I bought when I started. Stuff lasts forever unmixed. I still think PBW is the best. It'll clean just about anything.

Back