StarSan - Do I need to wait for the Carboy to air dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadWeb

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a question about StarSan. This is the first time I have used this kind of sanitizer. I switched over from Idophore (sp.) because it won't stain stuff and I have heard alot of good things about it.

I am getting ready to move my wort over to the secondary today and I have the Carboy soaking in the StarSan solution. When I am ready to move the wort can I just dump the StarSan out and transfer the wort directly into the secondary? Or do I need to wait for the Carboy to air dry first?

Thanks!

until it's PH raises.... I keep the stuff for about 3 months in a closed container.

Jesse17 said:
I thought it takes 2 min. of contact to be effective?
IIRC, they have to state a 2 minute time limit due to FDA regulation or something, but unofficially, the owner says 30 seconds is all you need.

Since you said "soak", I'll mention that you need not fill the carbuoy with starsan. Doing so is a big waste of SS if you're pouring it out. Put about a 1/2 quart in there and shake it up to make foam and coat the walls. The splash and foam all over the walls will do the trick for you.

I love my Spray Bottle so much I posted about it. :)

Spray bottles ($1.89 from Home Depot) are great for that, give it a few squirts, swish it around, dump the little bit and then spray the "neck" of the carboy/Better Bottle and you're golden. Effecient use of Star San, saves a lot of time and isn't as heavy/dangerous as a bottle full of sanitizer.

Virtuous said:
Dont worry about the bubbles either.. good for the beer

Thats good, one of my Octoberfest's bottles had a bunch in it, and I remember reading that the bubbles were no harm so I didnt worry about it haha.

Mustangfreak said:
Thats good, one of my Octoberfest's bottles had a bunch in it, and I remember reading that the bubbles were no harm so I didnt worry about it haha.
I've crossed the line...I have officialy embraced the foam...just look at my gallery pics. I do let the beer bottles drain though, don't want foam spilling all over the place when I fill them.

Kevin Dean said:
Spray bottles ($1.89 from Home Depot) are great for that, give it a few squirts, swish it around, dump the little bit and then spray the "neck" of the carboy/Better Bottle and you're golden. Effecient use of Star San, saves a lot of time and isn't as heavy/dangerous as a bottle full of sanitizer.

Ditto. I use a spray bottle as well.

For bulk storage I use a 5 gal bucket with a lid that has a pop-up pour spout.

For daily use, I pour from there into a 3qt juice jug and a spray bottle.

The Bone2 said:
What do you store it in. A 5 gallon bucket with a lid?

Yep!

11369-p4010007.jpg

HopHeadWeb said:
Hey all. I have a question about StarSan. This is the first time I have used this kind of sanitizer. I switched over from Idophore (sp.) because it won't stain stuff and I have heard alot of good things about it.
Just know that just as Iodophor can stain; Starsan can eat some surfaces.
Also...

DO NOT MIX STAR​
SAN WITH CHLORINATED CLEANERS AS CHLORINE GAS WILL RESULT.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Is it bad to let it sit in Stainless?
Search if you want more info, I seem to recall answering that same question twice in the last couple of weeks alone.

In short, NO, it is perfectly fine. I store starsan in a spare keg, and have for months with no issue. The maker of starsan has commented on another forum that it's perfectly safe with stainless.

Funkenjaeger said:
I store starsan in a spare keg, and have for months with no issue. The maker of starsan has commented on another forum that it's perfectly safe with stainless.

Not to call you out on this, but everything I've read has said the opposite - that Star San can cause pinholing in Stainless and other metals. Do you have some reference to the owner mentioning it being not etching or harming stainless in long contact?

Charlie Talley of Star San

http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?pagenumber=2&perpage=15&threadid=10932

Star San is based on phosphoric acid, being an acid is is very friendly to s/s. When storing the use solution of Star San keep these things in mind. First it is still active as long as the pH is below 3, and the solution is clear. When the solution turns cloudy the soap in Star San has reacted with the mineral in the make-up water and has made the final solution useless. A good way of getting around this is to make up the Star San up with D.I. Water.

Keeping Star is plastic or in Stainless Steel is OK as long as the first two comments are met.

Star San will kill just about every organism known to man in 30 seconds.

And last but not least is the foam. Since Star San will not kill when the pH goes above 3 any small amount left in a bottle or a keg will not stop the furmentation process and it is safe to drink the beer that is what comes out of the package. That is why Star San has a no rinse claim.

Oh one more thing Star San is an acid and it will make a mess of counter-tops and rugs if it is spilled on them be carfull when using it.

Charlie

Compare with John Palmer of How to Brew, who is also a Metallurgist.

Phosphoric in 300 series stainless steel is generally okay, according the ASM Metals Handbook, Vol. 13 - Corrosion.
However, it does go on to say that any impurities, particularly chloride and sulfate, will accelerate pitting and crevice corrosion.

So, I will bet that those of you who have had pitting problems at the water line, or other etching, have high chlorides or sulfate in your water.

I never recommend storing anything wet. Don't care whether it's water, or Starsan or PBW or Onestep or vinegar. When you store metal items wet, you allow all the time necessary for oxygen deprivation of a local area to occur and then you have an activity difference and galvanic corrosion can start. Pitting at the water line is a prime example. Pitting at a dent or ding is another. Weldments are particularly vulnerable because the metal chemistry/structure is generally different.

You know how I store my kegs? Upside down and open. Sure I get a spider or two in there once in a while, but they are easily taken care of, and I just fill the keg with starsan and let it sanitize my racking cane and siphon.

Remember, I am just as FOS as the rest of you, but I hope this helps.
Cheers,
John

via a post from our own Dude.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=79681&postcount=8

So it seems that it's storing metals wet in general and perhaps your water in conjunction with phosphoric (in Star San) and features in your vessel (welds) etc that may give you a problem.

Kevin Dean said:
Not to call you out on this, but everything I've read has said the opposite - that Star San can cause pinholing in Stainless and other metals. Do you have some reference to the owner mentioning it being not etching or harming stainless in long contact?
If you have pinholing, it was probably caused by long term contact with chlorine based cleaners at one time, combined with weak spots on the welds. Welds are trouble spots for impurities, (which can show up as rust spots) and these can be problem areas when exposed to chemicals.

How does Idophore versus Star San do to your skkin in its diluted version?

In other words do I have to wear gloves everytime I use this stuff?

Thanks

Sebastian

Back