Starsan beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OctopusInk

Reaction score
So first off I was drinking while brewing, which usually isn't a problem, but my American Brown is a bit big. Anyway after cooling the wort I sanitized my Ale Pale with about a liter of diluted Starsan. Between watching a movie, drinking, and talking to my wife I poured my wort right on top of the starsan left in the bucket. Like I said it was about a liter. After cursing myself and drying my tears I topped up to OG 1.060 and pitched the Wyeast 1056 smack pack.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of debacle? What should I expect from the finished product. This was the Rye P.A. partial mash kit from Northern Brewer. I feel like such an idiot, it will serve me right if it turns out like vinegar or something.

It can happen, for the last 48 hours I'm trying to remember if I left a puddle of Eazy Clean on the bottom of my fermenter before I racked into it also... I'm pretty sure I cleaned it out as I hit my number and the number would have been much less if I diluted by 1/2 gal... I too tend to drink as I brew and between that and other distractions I can totally see doing what you did... I don't have an answer to your question though, my gut is that since star san is no rinse a 'little' of it couldn't hurt but a liter... might be bad.

From what I understand, StarSan is a yeast nutrient, but while I have no experience in this situation, my opinion would be to just forget it happened and RDWHAHB!

Search the forums for StarSan don't fear the foam. There may be info in there about this occurring. Of course that addresses the foam only... :mug:

I'm a newb myself so If I am off base the experts should give me some slack............from everything I have read here starsan turns into food for the yeast and what I read elsewhere it leaves no taste behind. I think you did the right thing by letting it roll. Worse case cenerio it sux and you have an excuse to brew another batch :)

It was bubbling this morning, so i don't think it will effect fermentation. Just PH of the Wort and therefore taste...or something. Just brainstorming here.

Starsan is odorless and tasteless. While you wouldn't want a ton of any foreign material in your beer, this isn't going to hurt anything. If you're using starsan right a litre is only going to have but a fraction of an oz of actual sanitizer in it. Might water down the beer a bit but it won't hurt anything!

Relax :)

This sort of thing is why I no longer drink while brewing. too many "Oh ****" moments. For me, my tap opens up when the fermenter door closes.

This sort of thing is why I no longer drink while brewing. too many "Oh ****" moments. For me, my tap opens up when the fermenter door closes.

That is my new brewday rule. Guess I will have to start brewing earlier in the day.

Thanks all for the response. I will check back in a month or so to let you know the end result.

It's hard not to drink while brewing. I woke up this morning to a new batch of IPA I really don't remember brewing last night. :drunk:

Off topic, but the closest call I had was using my priming sugar in the cooled wort and aerating the fermented beer. But just as I was about to pour I realized what was going on.

I try not to get drunk while brewing, but cracking one of my own homebrews to kick off a session is de rigeur.

Starsan is odorless and tasteless. While you wouldn't want a ton of any foreign material in your beer, this isn't going to hurt anything.

I tasted StarSan one time based on the inventor saying it's food-safe. It's got a slight sour flavor to it from the phosphoric acid, but nothing objectionable. It also has Dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid in it, which apparently isn't generally good to drink. However, I'm sure I'm fine and that the craving for human flesh will pass.

I'm not recommending that people do this, but I needed *something* to quickly cool my coffee beans and my only spray bottle was StarSan.

Me and one of my buddies brewed a vanilla porter in November while drinking pretty heavy. We had a shot of jack to celebrate the pitching of the yeast and needless to say the fermentor got a two once shot to. The beer was great. The funny thing is about that time I read an article about putting bourbon in the keg and racking on top of it so when I kegged it I poured two cups of jack in the keg and racked the beer in on top. Next time I would only suggest one cup.

Heres to Vanilla Bourbon Porter and cutting down on the whisky while brewing:mug:

Back