star san question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branman

Reaction score
Just started using star san a weeks ago and it work wonderfully. The question is that it says its corrosive so is it safe to use in kegs and other metals or should I find an alternative? If so what would you suggest?

It's definitely fine to use on stainless- that's pretty much what it's designed for. Lots of people keep kegs of the stuff around just to keep it handy. If you have any aluminum, it will eat right through the oxide layer and corrode the metal, though.

It's fine to use on stainless. Although I wouldn't store it in stainless for long periods of time. I've listened to a few podcasts\interviews with charlie daniels (worked @ 5 star & created star-san) who advised against extended contact time with stainless.

Fine on stainless, carbon steel, and copper. Etches concrete horribly so try not to spill on the basement floor.

Back