Star-San Fountain- A Cautionary Tale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedar_lake

Reaction score
So I bought the four-pack of cornys from Northern Brewer a while back, but have not needed any of them yet- until this weekend. I had an IPA that was ready to be racked into a keg and my only other corny still had beer in it (what a happy problem, I have finally started the slightest bit of a pipeline!)

Anyway, I got up yesterday morning and set about replacing the seals on all four kegs, assembly-line style. I had distributed about five gallons of diluted star-san into the four kegs and soaked, and so now had a little over a gallon in each. I would disassemble a keg, clean the parts, change out/lube the seals, reassemble, and pressurize with 30lbs to set the seals and make sure everything was Ok.

That worked great until the last keg. I got it all back together with new seals, but when I put the CO2 to it, there was a little trickle coming past the poppet on the out post. I threw a beer line on there to see if that might re-seat the poppet, but it did quite the contrary. It pushed it aside even more so when I removed the line, I had a full-on ceiling height start-san fountain! At 30lbs pressure it was exceptional and by the time I got the gas line off and the keg purged, I had a solid gallon on the ceiling, the floor, and myself.

Further disassembly and reassembly re-seated the poppet and I was able to get the offending keg to hold pressure, no problem. I do see some new poppets in my future, though.

Just make sure you get the correct poppet replacements. I didn't find out I had 2 different kinds until I bought replacements. Luck - Dwain

....It pushed it aside even more so when I removed the line, I had a full-on ceiling height start-san fountain! At 30lbs pressure it was exceptional and by the time I got the gas line off and the keg purged, I had a solid gallon on the ceiling, the floor, and myself. ....

Been there, done that.:rockin:

Be glad it wasn't Beer instead. I know.:D

Sounds like putting a Mentos in a pop bottle...

Do that again and get it on youTube.

FWIW, when I have poppets that didn't seat properly (usually after removing a disconnect), I just scratch down on them with my thumb nail quickly and they always seem to reset themselves.

Back