Star San foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Reaction score
I recently did a batch of ale and I noticed that, when I was siphoning from the carboy to the bottling bucket, there seemed to be something on the surface as the bucket filled. It almost look like an oil-on-water type of reaction. I cleaned the bottling bucket prior with SanStar and was thinking that some of it may have been left in the bucket. I know SanStar shouldn't effect the beer, but my real questions are, "Could it have been something else? Has anyone ever seen this seem reaction? Was it just the SanStar and I shouldn't worry about it?"

What were you bottling? Sometimes this can be hop oils, or other biproducts. Usually with my pale ales, IPAs, and other bitter beers, I will have the said "oil slick" on top of the beer.

Don't sweat it, I see this all the time. Like I said above most likely some hot oils. If you have wet starsan in there (which you should, dont let it dry), you will get some bubbles that look like dish detergent. Starsan has been known to foam up and produce some pretty cool works of art

I transferred a Brewer's Best Kolsch from the primary to secondary tonight and saw the same "oil slick". I wondered what it was but didn't worry too much. Sounds like it's normal.

I am so happy someone asked this question. I had the same film on my pale ale. It didn't look like some of the pictures I have seen of an infection, and the beer didn't taste foul. It is a relief that others see the same thing. First thing I thought was infection until I tasted a hydrometer sample. Then I thought of hop oils. It was just a slight sheen on the surface.

Its normal, the star san does contribute to it, and it doesn't affect anything...not the flavor and not the head retention.

I think its the surfactant in star san...you know how you can see a rainbow in dishsoap bubbles sometimes? kinda like that.

its a non-issue.

Yeah, I've seen that "oil slick" on almost all of my beers. I use Star San as well. I always thought it was hop oils.

Back