Stalled Ferment or bad hygro reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcgeehan151

Reaction score
Hey all, long short: my neighbor and I have jumped Ito homebrewing together. We just bottled our second brews. I amped up midwest's Irish red into an IpA and he tried a Sculpin "clone.". Both extract with seeping. Now the issue.

We both transferred to a secondary( free up primary) check FG at transfer: I recorded mine, when we took his he didn't record but I "remember" everything seemed fine. OG started around 1.070, I "thought" his was in the mid to high 1.0-teens. Used 2 packs US-04. The very last bit wasn't enough for a bottling today so we just put it in a graduated cylinder to taste and take a hygro, I saw 1.030. It was pretty sweet. Could that be the priming sugar? (4.0 ounces for a 5,25 gallon batch at 74 degrees at bottling) Are we totally missing something?

Thanks!!!!

Hello, You need to take your final hydrometer readings before you add the priming sugar to get an accurate reading on if your brew has finished and is ready to bottle.

Cheers :mug:

Back