Stalled ferment in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevSliw

Reaction score
I mixed up a gallon batch of raspberry must two days ago, measured SG yesterday (very low 1.075, had only added 0.5lbs of sugar), added more sugar to bring it to 2lbs (per a better recipe) though it didn’t change the SG. Pitched the yeast anyways.

doesn’t seem like there’s much action going on 24hours later compared to my other two pails of plum and chokecherry must. I won’t be able to get some new yeast until Monday.
Is this raspberry salvageable? Can I freeze it until Monday?

How did you make the must? Raw raspberries, or store bought? Juice? Pulped fruit? Any additives like Campden tablets or k-meta powder?

Also, if you add sugar, the SG will always change. You should dissolve the sugar properly and measure again.

Finally, 1.075 OG isn't a very low SG. If it ferments dry from 1.075 (down to 1.000 or lower, often possible with fruit) you'll have almost 10% ABV in your wine.

Back