Stainless steel vs aluminium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It totally depends on how well you clean them.

For the very first brew in aluminum, if you did not boil water in it to build an oxidation layer you might get a metallic taste. After that there should be no difference.

I have a turkey pot ss And a 15 gallon brew keg
Is one better in taste ?

Not sure I understand what you've written here, is your Turkey Fryer Stainless (the SS) and you also have a keggle? That means both are stainless steel (it would have to be a very old keg to be made of Aluminum).

Keyth

Wow !! Both kegs in stainless steel and aluminum
Look the same to me ? How do I check them ?

Wow !! Both kegs in stainless steel and aluminum
Look the same to me ? How do I check them ?

That's probable because you've never seen an aluminum keg. Some Kegs have a polished finish and others are dull (very aluminum pot like look). If it is a modern, domestic 15.5 gallon Sanke keg, I can 99.9% guarantee that it's made of Stainless Steel. There were some Aluminum Kegs back in the 70's, but they're very hard to find today. The stainless steel most kegs are made of isn't very magnetic (if you have a powerful earth magnet it might stick). Look for rust spots, typically somewhere the keg has been scratched (yes stainless steel can rust).

Keyth

I dont remember reading any material through any brewing books or any sources online that claim a taste difference between aluminum and stainless steel. They each have their benefits, as well as drawbacks, in the brewhouse in regards to usage. Stainless is obviously heavier, although more durable and with it more expensive. Aluminum is easier to maneuver as it is lighter in weight, yet not as durable and more prone to denting and wear & tear. If you have an automated system decked out with pumps and such, stainless steel is the way to go as you won't be moving the kettles often. However, if your like myself and just brew on a propane burner, do kettle ice baths + immersion chiller, and batch pour into the carboy, aluminum is the way to go. It all depends on your brewing methods and preferences.

Please read this thread, and realize that the only difference it will make in terms of beer flavor, is who was the better brewer.

Questions like this, are all about preferences, and the brewer's skill, nothing more. If it can be posed as a -vs- question, then the answer is usually they both work. They both work fine. There rarely is a better or best in this hobby- only "what works best for you."

Aluminum tastes better because you can spend all the cash you save instead of buying SS on more beer:)

But seriously, Revvy is right.
Per usual.

Back