stainless steel sinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mboardman

Reaction score
Think Im ready to upgrade from an old plastic utility tub to a SS Double sink. I use primarily Starsan for my sanitation of bottles and other equipment. I know from experience the Anvil fermentors hold up fine to a day or two with the standard starsan mixture, with no real degradation. Question is do I need to pony up the money for an NSF grade sink, or can I get by as an occasional user with the cheaper sinks out there?

What do you think of this:

https://www.therestaurantstore.com/items/105108
I see the reviews stating it rusts at welds and so forth, but is rust a concern for us homebrewers? I mean to say, would it really be a concern as Im using it just to sanitize bottles (left in starsan mixture for up to a day) and clean large equipment?

Anyone got a decently priced (under $400) sink that IS NSF cert? Does NSF cert guarantee it wont rust?

Im aware of the Gridmann double sink on amazon for $388 but the price diff would buy a faucet with sprayer. What sink situation do you all have??

Last edited:
I'd start watching for a used one. Unfortunately there's a lot of used restaurant equipment coming onto the market.

I have that same sink with a drainboard on the left side. I'm not sure if it's the same actual manufacturer, but it's the same measurements. I have 5 gallons of star san in the left side every brew day. (I have NO IDEA why so many guys are worried about star san cost- it's SO cheap!)
I've cleaned it up with BKF here and there, but I've no real issues with rust.

Nm, I just noticed the label. Guess mine is a lil different. I got mine used years ago off CL for $100 with the sprayer and faucet. (I did end up having to replace the faucet tho)

Attachments

• PXL_20210302_161054112.jpg
    PXL_20210302_161054112.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20210302_161130943.jpg
    PXL_20210302_161130943.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
I found my double sink on Facebook marketplace. Keep an eye there or CL. I made sure mine was double and extra wide. I would never go 3 or not have the sinks wide. Even with double and wide I still wouldn’t hesitate to change mine out for a single sink that is deep and extra wide. I got mine for $150.

Attachments

• 0FA8533C-2675-4D85-9078-938668EF41A3.jpeg
    0FA8533C-2675-4D85-9078-938668EF41A3.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 25
Back