Stainless Steel Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
I've been using a 7 gallon plastic FerMonster carboy for the last year or so. I don't like it, I never liked it, but I spent the money on it so I wanted to feel like I at least got my money's worth out of it. Mission accomplished.

Now I'm ready to upgrade. As much as I would love to just bite the bullet, (buy once/cry once as they say) and get a ss conical... $400+ is a little outside my comfort zone. Plus the fact that it won't fit in my chest freezer so I'd have to buy another refrigerator and temp controller. Anyway - that's not an option right now.

I made a list of all the fermenters I could find for under $200 and narrowed it down to:

1) Anvil Bucket Fermentor
2) Ss Brewtech Brew Bucket

I'm leaning towards the Anvil only because of the price difference at this point. From what info I've been able to gather here and there I honestly can't see any benefit to paying $70 more for the Ss Brewtech. If I'm missing something I would greatly appreciate any insight.

In addition to the price I'm also thinking I could use the Anvil with my current chest freezer set-up, but I'm not sure if the Brewtech would fit.

I added two of these buckets to my collection recently and am pleased. It's nice having the extra head room. I did not install the spigots but they seem like a nice option.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/plastic-bucket-fermenter-spigot-79-gallons-30.html

They look nice, I think my LHBS sells similar sized ones for "wine."
Are they a little wider, and perhaps a tad shorter than regular 6.5 gallon brew buckets? If so, 2 of them may not fit together inside a fermentation fridge, so there's that to consider.

After repeatedly stepping on bucket spigots mounted in "bottling buckets" that held 5 gallons of Starsan, I decided to retire those. I wish there was an easy way to plug that hole up.

I've been using a 7 gallon plastic FerMonster carboy for the last year or so. I don't like it, I never liked it, but I spent the money on it so I wanted to feel like I at least got my money's worth out of it. Mission accomplished.

Now I'm ready to upgrade. As much as I would love to just bite the bullet, (buy once/cry once as they say) and get a ss conical... $400+ is a little outside my comfort zone. Plus the fact that it won't fit in my chest freezer so I'd have to buy another refrigerator and temp controller. Anyway - that's not an option right now.

I made a list of all the fermenters I could find for under $200 and narrowed it down to:

I'm leaning towards the Anvil only because of the price difference at this point. From what info I've been able to gather here and there I honestly can't see any benefit to paying $70 more for the Ss Brewtech. If I'm missing something I would greatly appreciate any insight.

In addition to the price I'm also thinking I could use the Anvil with my current chest freezer set-up, but I'm not sure if the Brewtech would fit.

I got the Anvil about a month ago. I just used it for aging a stout on some oak. It worked well and seems to be built well. Many places are sold out. I was able to find one in stock here: https://www.love2brew.com/Anvil-Stainless-Bucket-Fermentor-7-Gallon-p/cb065b.htm

You may want to call to ensure they actually have some in stock before ordering.

Here is something else to keep in mind; unless SS has changed their manufacturing, the customer must passivate their own buckets. I took a quick read through the Anvil manual and it appears to be passivated for you already. This has always bothered me about SS.

Weird, I thought I posted this hours ago.

I think the benefit of the SS Brewtech is closed pressure transfer without having to DIY a solution as they sell bulkheads designed for the system. I think they’re both solid offerings with slightly different benefits. Also the SS Brewtech is stackable if you have a fridge and a strong back.

Why not use plastic buckets?

I added two of these buckets to my collection recently and am pleased. It's nice having the extra head room. I did not install the spigots but they seem like a nice option.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/plastic-bucket-fermenter-spigot-79-gallons-30.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-Stout...861925?hash=item4b47114765:g:~GQAAOSwhMpT0JNO

its under $375 shipped... I have the 12.5 gallon version Ive been using for years. Unless your going with an actual conical fermenter with a dump valve your not really upgrading much over a plastic bucket with a stainless bucket IMO.
I was considering the Speidel and possibly the fast ferment plastic conical. I read this post, (I believe from another site).

1hRuahK.jpg

I didn't post it originally because I don't want to get sidetracked into a debate about that. It makes sense and that's good enough for me. I have no doubt there are thousands of you who have brewed tens of thousands of batches over the last 20 or 30 years and never had an infection. It's still a risk and if for no other reason than piece of mind - plastic is not an option.

I looked at the Chapman, but it's pretty much the same price as the Anvil and the Anvil was more impressive, so that's how I ruled the Chapman out.

I do want to start doing closed transfers, (one of my primary reasons for wanting stainless steel). From what I've been able to find out so far it is possible with both the anvil and the Ss Brewtech. It's probably easier with the Ss Brewtech, but possible with both.

The other factor is whether I can continue to use my chest freezer or if I have to invest even more money into another refrigeration unit.

I would LOVE to have a full conical with dump valve, but I can't justify the huge price difference compared to what benefits I personally would gain. Not to mention the added expense of buying another refrigerator. I only brew 10 to 12 batches a year and rarely if ever use the same yeast on back to back batches so I never harvest or reuse yeast. And as far as being able to dump the trub and ferment longer in the same vessel, if I can do a closed transfer from primary to a corny keg that accomplishes pretty much the same thing AND frees up my primary fermenter for the next batch.

I've been looking around for a couple of weeks now and so far I'm leaning heavily toward the Anvil. It seems to have everything I want - except that stopper. I wish they would have drilled a smaller hole in the top.

ok there are so many homebrewers as well as small breweries using plastic with no issues I have a hard time believing plastic cant be sanitized. Ive been using both plastic and stainless for years with no issues.. like anything brewing and sanitation practic is important. as long as the surface isnt beat up and full of scratches it works fine fine.

If you want and feel a stainless bucket is a worthwhile investment great but dont fool yourself into thinking its needed to avoid infections. thats simply not true.

True, but there are a lot of homebrewers that brew without a pump, still use extract, etc. I think we all started out with the bucket/carboy combo but once I went to conicals I never looked back. Harvesting yeast, sanitation, ease of cleaning, durability... all of those things are far easier in a conical. (Obviously the OP is talking about something more akin to a Brew Bucket as opposed to something with a dump valve, but... it all seems to be evolutionary.)

Completely forgot about the Chapman. My only issue with the Anvil is it's so damn tall with an airlock in place. It's also fairly wide handle-to-handle compared to the Brewtech or Chapman offerings. The SS Brewtech is pretty sweet, but since it has etched markings..that means you need to take care with what you use to clean it with. Something like Barkeepers friend may take the markings off if used for passivation a few times. Also...you have to passivate it. If your paying a premium I think it shouldn't lead to more work. Their blowoff kit is nice, but not sure if it justifies the price increase.

Unless your stacking, I'd have to say the Anvil or Chapman would win. Since you've already ruled out the Chapman...then your solution is simple. Finding one on the other hand...they'll have stock in July.

I agree that while I've been using plastic for awhile and it works well..something like SS is preferred for easy of cleaning and if I want to leave something to ferment for a few months..no need to worry about O2 permeability. Plus I have a feeling SS doesn't take on that "I've had many different beers brewed in me" smell that plastic takes on after awhile.

I recently purchased my first SS fermenter and ended up going with the brew bucket only because it fit my fermentation chamber (wine fridge). Otherwise I would have gone with the Anvil and saved the money.

ok there are so many homebrewers as well as small breweries using plastic with no issues I have a hard time believing plastic cant be sanitized. Ive been using both plastic and stainless for years with no issues.. like anything brewing and sanitation practic is important. as long as the surface isnt beat up and full of scratches it works fine fine.

If you want and feel a stainless bucket is a worthwhile investment great but dont fool yourself into thinking its needed to avoid infections. thats simply not true.
Yeah, and this is why I left this part out originally. I used plastic pails when I started. After the first batch the pail was discolored and had a faint smell left from the beer. I cleaned it as aggressively as I dared without damaging it, but could never get it back to new. As I brewed the smell grew. I doubt it would have hurt anything, but it was there. I'm anal about cleaning and sanitizing. After awhile a foul stink developed under the rubber seal in the lid, and again, no matter how much I cleaned and sanitized . . . it just stunk. I bought another lid for like $3 or $4 so it was no big deal. Then I used the plastic FerMonster for the last year or so. No major issues - I just don't like it. It's time to upgrade and I don't want plastic. If someone had any factual scientific data that proved plastic can be cleaned and sanitized to the same level that stainless steel can be, I might reconsider. But anecdotal "I've used plastic for years..." arguments are irrelevant and meaningless. I'm convinced stainless steel is the better way to go, and since I am now upgrading, stainless steel is the only thing I'm considering. And I never said stainless steel will prevent me from getting an infected batch - I just don't want to have to worry about throwing all my fermenters away and buying new ones [IF] I happen to get an infection. For me, I will have more piece of mind with a closed stainless steel system where infections are concerned. I got my brew system pretty much tweaked to where I wanted it. Now I want to get the fermentation side of things fine tuned as much as possible. Stainless steel primary, Jaybird Krausen Catcher, closed transfers . . . I'm hoping that will eliminate most of the issues I've experienced so far in fermentation.

True, Stainless is easier to clean and keep looking new so there will be some benefit there if the look and smell bother you. But I will just stress again the ability to secondary in the conical after dumping all the trub and dead yeast without oxidizing the beer was a bigger benefit. I picked up my 7.3 gallon conical used on craigslist for $200... one of my 12.5 gallon stainless conicals was $325 new shipped... they can be found for less.

@Gytaryst
If you keg your beer (or at least have the equipment to keg your beer), you could try fermenting in a corny keg with a slightly smaller batch size.

Or you could consider a 1/4 barrel Sanke keg (short or tall depending on your size limitations) to get a full 5 gallon batch. You can buy or build a triclover assembly for blowoff and transferring beer.

Don't forget the SS can fit the same lid as the 7 gallon Chronical. This opens up a plethora of accessories that are plug and play. I have a barb in the pic below, but I also use a 1.5TC to ball lock gas for blowoff. I also noticed the Chapman and Anvil don't have a thermowell option so you would have to add that yourself for proper temp control in a ferm chamber. Yes, it is more expensive but I think it's the best choice of the three stainless options mentioned.
IMG_2107.jpg

I can replace all my plastic, which I have been using for 7 years without an infection, for less than one of those stainless steel fermenters. And I often have 3 - 5 beers and wines in fermenters at the same time. So for me stainless steel fermenters is not an option.

I know you ruled out the Champman but I love mine. Just got another on eBay when they had a 20% off coupon for under 90 bucks. I modified mine with a tri-clamp, corny post and thermowell and would never think about going back to any kind of plastic. I partially carbonate in them and then close transfer to a keg.

@Gytaryst
If you keg your beer (or at least have the equipment to keg your beer), you could try fermenting in a corny keg with a slightly smaller batch size.

Or you could consider a 1/4 barrel Sanke keg (short or tall depending on your size limitations) to get a full 5 gallon batch. You can buy or build a triclover assembly for blowoff and transferring beer.
I considered all those. I don't want to reduce batch size. I brew 6 gallon batches to end up with 5 gallons; keg or bottle.

I've been transferring from my primary, (7 gal. plastic FerMonster), to a corny keg. Depending on the beer, I either serve from that keg, let it sit
for awhile, or transfer it to another keg thru either a 1.0 micron or 5.0 micron cartridge filter. The weak link is obviously the plastic FerMonster.

I brewed a Tripel 3 weeks ago. Mash went perfect, boil went perfect, hit all my numbers almost dead on. Pitched 500 billion cells of WLP540 at 64F and it went absolutely spastic. Within 12 hours it actually pushed the #10 stopper out of the lid, (I hate stoppers). I got the mess cleaned up as well as I could. No idea how much oxygen (or whatever else) got into the beer during this fiasco. Fermentation never really went anywhere after that. Est FG was 1.012. This one stopped at 1.022, (way too high for a Tripel). I tried warming it up, rousing the yeast, stirring, swishing... but it's stuck at 1.022. No telling how much oxygen I introduced taking extra hydrometer samples, swishing, stirring. There's probably a billion things I could blame this on but I choose to blame the FerMonster... 100%. Mostly because I haven't been impressed with this thing since day one and this was simply the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. It was also the reason I decided to upgrade, and to get away from plastic.

Similar to what @hezagenius has said. You can get a Kegmenter for $200. https://www.williamsbrewing.com/132-GALLON-KEGMENTER-Actual-Shipping-P4223.aspx

You can brew 5-10 gallons in it and hook it up to a spunding valve, then you would be able to ferment under pressure if you wanted to.
I like the idea of being able to take the top off and get down in there for cleaning.

Don't forget the SS can fit the same lid as the 7 gallon Chronical. This opens up a plethora of accessories that are plug and play. I have a barb in the pic below, but I also use a 1.5TC to ball lock gas for blowoff. I also noticed the Chapman and Anvil don't have a thermowell option so you would have to add that yourself for proper temp control in a ferm chamber. Yes, it is more expensive but I think it's the best choice of the three stainless options mentioned.
View attachment 576774
Yes - since continuing to look into this I am now leaning more toward the Ss Brewtech Brew Bucket than the Anvil. There seems to be some scientific evidence that the conical bottom aids and actually speeds up fermentation as opposed to a flat bottom, (Chapman).

I know you ruled out the Champman but I love mine. Just got another on eBay when they had a 20% off coupon for under 90 bucks. I modified mine with a tri-clamp, corny post and thermowell and would never think about going back to any kind of plastic. I partially carbonate in them and then close transfer to a keg.

This is pretty much exactly what I want to do. I talked to Bobby at Brewhardware and he suggested the 1.5" TC as a way to eliminate that stupid large stopper hole, ("stupid" is my word, not his). If the Chapman was significantly cheaper than the Anvil it would be a serious consideration. But since they are basically the same price, the Anvil has more to offer dollar for dollar.

I found one site that advertised the Chapman (portless) for $78. When I went to check out they added $55 for shipping making it more expensive than the places that are selling it for $119 free shipping. I hate sites that feel they have to use that kind of deceptive trickery to sell their products, so not only will I not be buying the Chapman from them, I probably won't buy anything from them in the future.

As for the plastic vs ss debate that I was hoping to avoid. I titled this thread "Stainless Steel Fermenters" and purposely left the word "plastic" out of it. BUT . . . . . the guys who use plastic seem to be compelled to add their unsolicited, unwanted 2 cents, and that's fine... it's a public forum. So here's my position:

I'm not made of money, by any stretch of the imagination. My goal is to make the best beer I can possibly make and my philosophy is, "Anything worth doing is worth doing right." If I'm going to brew beer then I want the capability to brew the best beer possible - without cutting corners or settling for second best just because it's cheaper. That said, the one and ONLY argument for using plastic is that it's cheaper. There is no argument that it's better - it's not, it's inferior. There is no argument that it can be cleaned and sanitized to the same level, it can't. There is no argument that it has the longevity of stainless steel, it doesn't.

Stainless steel is clearly and unquestionably the better material... period... no debate. The cost difference is minimal in the overall big picture. Plastic IS cheaper. No argument. No matter how many times this debate pops up, the final conclusion is always that plastic is cheaper than stainless steel. I agree with that 100%. I don't argue that. That point has been made - ad nauseum, ad infinitum. Yes... it's cheaper. And there it is...

My ultimate goal is to make the best beer I can possibly make - not to spend the least amount I can possibly spend on equipment.

Just sayin' If you're using plastic and you've always used plastic and you're happy using plastic... awesome. Kudos.

I've had 3 Brewmaster Buckets when I lived in a house and now have rebought a brewbucket (eventually will have two) now that I'm in an apartment. I love them and have been 100% happy with them. The conical-style bottom does indeed work well to collect yeast and trub and keeps it from going into your keg/bottles, it's very easy to clean, has great accessories (I have the blow off elbow for the lid for when doing hyper active fermentations like Hefeweizen's), and I also like that being stainless I can lift and move the fermenter around without any worry of airlock suck back since the walls don't flex. Only thing I'll recommend is using 1/4" tubing on the spigot as the barbs are smoother than usual and 3/8" will slide off.

Rev.

Then I used the plastic FerMonster for the last year or so. No major issues - I just don't like it. It's time to upgrade and I don't want plastic. If someone
Do you mind saying what you dont like about it? Is it just a preference thing? I'm curious as i have done three batches in mine.

Piggybacking on this thread.

I’m looking to make an upgrade to my existing fermenters. I currently ferment in kegs to prevent oxygen ingress. I’m a little bit dissatisfied with my fermentation capacity, but I would like to retain the ability to perform closed transfers (and prevent oxygen ingress during cold crashing) with my next upgrade.

I understand there are quite a few options on the market, so I was looking for a few recommendations from the crowd. Not really looking to spend an arm and a leg on a Unitank, though. Any thoughts?

Not trying to sound like a broken record from my previous post on here, however you can get a Kegmenter for $200+ shipping. Other than that I have seen 10 gallon corny kegs, refurbished for $223 or new for $325.

I did buy 2 new corny kegs ones awhile back on sale for $275, which is quite a bit for a 10 gallon keg, however I have been satisfied with their performance, they are a breeze to ferment 5.5 to 6 gallons in. Never bought a refurbished tank, was a little squeamish since I was planning to ferment and did not want to have to deal with an unsanitary weld.

Other options for scoring a cheap 10 or 15 gallon keg are to keep lurking the For Sale on Homebrewtalk or go on ebay lurking for eye wash tanks/portable eye wash.

Piggybacking on this thread.

I’m looking to make an upgrade to my existing fermenters. I currently ferment in kegs to prevent oxygen ingress. I’m a little bit dissatisfied with my fermentation capacity, but I would like to retain the ability to perform closed transfers (and prevent oxygen ingress during cold crashing) with my next upgrade.

I understand there are quite a few options on the market, so I was looking for a few recommendations from the crowd. Not really looking to spend an arm and a leg on a Unitank, though. Any thoughts?

What size batches? If you are doing 5 gallon batches, I'd look for a pony keg (short 1/4 barrel). You can attach 2" triclover fittings to it and do easy closed pressure transfers.

What size batches? If you are doing 5 gallon batches, I'd look for a pony keg (short 1/4 barrel). You can attach 2" triclover fittings to it and do easy closed pressure transfers.

That’s perfect. I found new 1/4 bbl kegs for ~$100. I’m just a little unsure of how to convert the Sanke tap system to a TC fitting. I saw a few conversion kits from NorCal Brewing Solutions but I wouldn’t know how to convert them.

That kegmenter looks AWESOME as well — if they had 1/4 barrel vice 1/2 barrel ones that would be perfect. The 50 psi rating is quite robust.

@specharka
All you need to do is take out the spear in the Sanke and you are good to go. Plenty of videos online to show you how. Once you do that, 2" triclover fittings mate perfectly onto the opening. You just need to have a one sided gasket for the fitting that attaches to the keg. Several places online sell them.

https://www.brewershardware.com/F1GASSIL.html

I built a setup kind of like what Norcal sells but added some tweaks to it.

oCJ0cuZ.jpg

I can hook up CO2 to one side and the blow off to the other side to do super fast purges. The mini ball valves hold pressure, too.

The only tweak to this setup that I want is to have a TC ferrule TIG welded somewhere on the top so I can add dry hops without taking the setup off.

@specharka
All you need to do is take out the spear in the Sanke and you are good to go. Plenty of videos online to show you how. Once you do that, 2" triclover fittings mate perfectly onto the opening. You just need to have a one sided gasket for the fitting that attaches to the keg. Several places online sell them.

https://www.brewershardware.com/F1GASSIL.html

I built a setup kind of like what Norcal sells but added some tweaks to it.

oCJ0cuZ.jpg

I can hook up CO2 to one side and the blow off to the other side to do super fast purges. The mini ball valves hold pressure, too.

The only tweak to this setup that I want is to have a TC ferrule TIG welded somewhere on the top so I can add dry hops without taking the setup off.

Thanks for the information. I also found this one from NorCal Brewing Solutions, which looks like a cleaner version of what you’re using:
https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Ultimate-Sanke-Keg-Cross-Fermenter-Kit.html

The only concern that I have is being able to fit any and all of these in my fermentation chamber (Haier chest freezer). The racking cane alone is 29”, and 1/4 bbl pony kegs are not short either.

I really like that Kegmenter — so long as there’s no issues fermenting 5g in a 13g vessel, I think that’s the ticket. It’s a bit pricey, but not absurdly so (compared to the SS BrewBucket it’s a steal).

EDIT: Damn it. I just checked the dimensions on both ferm chamber and keezer and I’m screwed. 15” W x 26.5” T — can’t fit a 1/2 bbl keg under any circumstances and I would need to make another collar to fit either of those Sanke conversion kits.

Last edited:
You can trim the 1/2" diptube to whatever length you need to make it fit. You also want to make sure you get a fitting with a short thermowell (if you want a thermowell). BrewHardware sells one. I think it's called Sanke Fermenter Conversion or something like that. And you want a compression fitting that has a full bore so the diptube passes through it.

I have a similar kegerator I use for fermentation and it fits with room to spare. A Kegmenter should also fit but it will be tighter, height wise.

Augie, did you do a thread or review on that Stout conical? Do they have a similar unitank?
I didnt do a review per say but I may have spoken about it when I got it in my thread in my signature. I just upgraded the valves on it this week to actual sanitary butterfly valves that rinse clean without disassembly making it even easier to use (2 for $48 shipped)
they make a unitank but they just refer to it as it a jacketed fermenter and its 20 gallon. Its also like 2 grand.

EDIT: Damn it. I just checked the dimensions on both ferm chamber and keezer and I’m screwed. 15” W x 26.5” T — can’t fit a 1/2 bbl keg under any circumstances and I would need to make another collar to fit either of those Sanke conversion kits.

Heightwise, you'd be fine with a short 1/4 barrel since you can trim the diptube. I think my fermenter plus assembly is about 20" high. However, short 1/4 barrels are about 16.5" in diameter so that would be a deal breaker.

Back