Stainless Prep Table "Fermentation Station" STEAL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMassBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As a land surveyor/engineer, I always find myself in different places every week and running into all sorts of different things. This week while doing a survey of a stockpile/dump yard for a local restaurant/hotel I ran into this old kitchen prep table. After asking the owner what the deal was with it, he said "take it, it's yours" and had my truck there the next day. Had to cut some vines that had grown around it so it had probably been there 1-2 years.

After bringing it home and wiping it down, it looks almost brand new!...except for the galvanized base, which is where you guys come in. I was just planning on scraping and sanding it and then giving it a couple coats of rustoleum paint. Anyone else know how to bring rusted galvanized steel back to life ?

Cheers

IMG_2596 (1).jpg
IMG_2606 (1).jpg

I'm still new at posting pictures on threads so hopefully you can see them..haha

You can buy the spray zinc and coat it after you scrub the rust off best you can. That’ll kinda re-galvanize it.

Angle grinder, a bunch of flap disks (80 and 120 grit), a respirator, and maybe four hours of going at the legs and sheet metal 'til what is going to be removed, is.

There'll still be plenty of pits that can't be brightened, so treat everything with a rust "reformer" (which I suspect are all various forms of carriers for phosphoric acid), then a rust-preventing primer. Then you can pick your finish (there's even "hammered" look rattle can paints :))

Alternatively...I'm betting the galvy base is not welded to the SS top. Might consider ditching the base and building a new one...

Cheers!

Angle grinder, a bunch of flap disks (80 and 120 grit), a respirator, and maybe four hours of going at the legs and sheet metal 'til what is going to be removed, is.

There'll still be plenty of pits that can't be brightened, so treat everything with a rust "reformer" (which I suspect are all various forms of carriers for phosphoric acid), then a rust-preventing primer. Then you can pick your finish (there's even "hammered" look rattle can paints :))

Alternatively...I'm betting the galvy base is not welded to the SS top. Might consider ditching the base and building a new one...

Cheers!

Yes, the base is separate from the top. I thought about replacing but I'm in this for $0 so far and trying to keep it close to there.. haha. Will probably just sand it down and re-coat. The sink hook-up will have to wait until I build a garage with a water tie-in.........one day

Back