Staggered Nutrients/Rhino Fart question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningInABottle

Reaction score
So I started a batch of SummerSoltice's Carmel Apple Mead and everything was going good it seemed untill the 3rd day when it got rhino farts.:eek: As soon as I could I got some more nutrients and added a full additional dose of nutrients which took care of the rhino farts.

I was planning on using Hightests spreadsheet staggered nutrient schedule but now with the additional does of nutrients I am wondering what to do. Do I continue on with the suggested addition interval as normal? Do I double my dose of nutrients from this point on to avoid more rhino farts? Or do I not add anymore because I have added more than enough nutrients?

For me the temperature has had more to due with the rhino stuff. I tend to ferment at 60-65F ambient, and around 68-70F must temperature. Doing that I don't get the strong gagging stuff.

My basement temp ranges from 64-66, I used K1V1-1116. The recipe was the Carmel Apple Mead by SummerSolstice modified a little. I added 5lb more honey and when my hydro reading went off my meter I added another gallon of water(w/nutrients+energizer.) CvilleKevin suggested adding nutrients, so I did and it worked. I think I am just going to continue on with the spreadsheet calculator shedule.

Now my problem is I caught a cold from my 8 month old boy and don't want to touch my mead while sick. Hopefully this passes quick.:(

As far as I know, colds being viral or bacteria based will not infect a homebrew.
Of course having a bad cold and trying to do homebrewing task is not fun. Just take it easy, degass daily, add the SNA when needed and it will be fine.

Back