Stabilizing Cider, Im confused!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollysbt

Reaction score
Please bear with me. I've been trying to get to get my answer by reading all sorts of threads and posts, but its confusing. There are a lot of contradictory things.

Long story short. I have a cider that is done fermenting. Made from Fresh pressed apples from my sister. Its been in cold crash for 2 weeks now. I want to backsweeten it with FAJC and some natural Blueberry Concentrated Juice.

I will be kegging it. How exactly do I stabilize it so that it doesn't start to referment? I've read Campden, Sorbate, etc.

I have 2 different type Packages of Campden. One is Potassium Metabisulfite and the other Sodium Metabisulfite. What's the difference? I also have Potassium Sorbate.

Please help! I just want to get the cider sweetened and aged so I can start drinking it!!!!

Attachments

• campden.jpg
    campden.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 37
Read the cider for beginners sticky.

First the cider must be done fermenting and the yeast needs to have collected on the bottom.

Then rack to a new container taking care to not transfer much of the yeast.

Add 5 tabs or 1/4 tsp. of K-meta to 5 gal. Then add the sorbate according to instructions.

How exactly do I stabilize it so that it doesn't start to referment? I've read Campden, Sorbate, etc.
You need both sorbate and sulfite.
I like to be as precise and accurate as possible...
Up to 300ppm sorbic acid can be used.
Sulfite should be added to target 0.8ppm molecular SO2.

I can help determine quantities if you provide the final batch size (after sweetening), and pH (if available). Do you have a scale that can measure grams?
I have 2 different type Packages of Campden. One is Potassium Metabisulfite and the other Sodium Metabisulfite. What's the difference?
Sodium affects the flavor; potassium does not. For this reason it's generally preferred to use potassium metabisulfite.

Hope this helps,
Cheers

The campden tablets will prevent any wild yeast from taking hold, the sorbate is used after primary to hinder any further fermentation. Then you can backsweeten it with the apple juice and not worry about it fermenting.

The campden tablets will prevent any wild yeast from taking hold, the sorbate is used after primary to hinder any further fermentation.
When added during stabilizing, the sulfite is to prevent lactic acid bacteria (not yeast) from creating off-flavors. Otherwise with just sorbate they may produce a geranium flavor.

Sulfite added prior to fermentation (for controlling both wild yeast and bacteria) is fully dissipated by the time you need to stabilize.

Hope this makes sense.

Please bear with me. I've been trying to get to get my answer by reading all sorts of threads and posts, but its confusing. There are a lot of contradictory things.

Long story short. I have a cider that is done fermenting. Made from Fresh pressed apples from my sister. Its been in cold crash for 2 weeks now. I want to backsweeten it with FAJC and some natural Blueberry Concentrated Juice.

I will be kegging it. How exactly do I stabilize it so that it doesn't start to referment? I've read Campden, Sorbate, etc.

I have 2 different type Packages of Campden. One is Potassium Metabisulfite and the other Sodium Metabisulfite. What's the difference? I also have Potassium Sorbate.

Please help! I just want to get the cider sweetened and aged so I can start drinking it!!!!

Rack (siphon) it off the lees into your keg. Mix one crushed Campden tablet per gallon. The potassium one is better, you won't taste it. Add 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate (or according to package) per gallon too. These 2 additives will prevent your sweetening sugar from fermenting. Then you can safely add sweetener without worries. Some folks say to wait 24 hrs before adding sugar, but it really doesn't matter - I always add them at the same time as the sweetener. Crush the tablets well between 2 spoons or with a mortar & pestile if you have one. I mix the chemicals in a clean Pyrex cup to be sure they're dissolved then just pour that in.

Keg, purge, carb, chill... and enjoy.

Last edited:
Back