St. Peters Organic Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trappist Artist

Reaction score
Here's my recipe...Your thoughts!

3.2 Kg John Bull Light Liquid Extract (two cans)
1 lb. Crystal 20
1 oz Hallertauer boiling
0.5 oz Cascade boiling
0.5 oz Cascade 15 min.

White labs english ale yeast

I couldn't get any New Zealand organic hops, nor any water from under the St. Peter's brewer. Hope city water will do...

I might try some organic brews. I've had three recently, all extremely nice and clean tasting. I don't know if that's because they use certified organic ingredients or not, but at least they had that in common.

They were:

Stone Mill Organic Pale Ale, Green Valley Brewing
Organically Produced Ale, Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
Organic English Ale, Duchy Originals

All very good.

Thanks for the web site, they had the exact hop I was looking for, and if I were and all grain brewer I'd be able to use the grains too!

The web page is excellent. I do a lot of their kits and they are absolutely top-notch. They are a bit pricer than a lot of places, but hey - organic stuff does cost more to grow/process so that should not be a surprise. Their customer support is always excellent (I once won 10 $50 AmEx gift cards and they spent 20 minutes on the phone w/ me applying them all to one order!) and their kits are extremely well balanced. they don't have the kit-variety of a Austin Homebrew or anything, mostly good, standard beer types.

Plus, 7 Bridges malt extracts come in bags (which are in their own box). I think they are MUCH easier to handle and use than plastic tubs.

Trappist Artist said:
I am new to brewing with organics. What kind of differences can I expect?
For starters, you can expect it to cost more. Brewing-wise, there is no real change. Same procedures exactly. I order a lot of stuff from the previously mentioned 7 Bridges CoOp (www.breworganic.com) for the "freshness" reason, not necessarily the organic or cost reasons. I find that their malts and hops are first-rate and are often noticeably fresher than other internet-order places. Their instruction if you are trying to get into mini-mash are excellent and can server as a reference and learnind experience if you are looking to go all-grain down the road.

Good luck! :mug:

Latest posts

Back