St Patrick's Day Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be a sad day. I wasn't able to brew my Extra Stout or Irish Red thanks to having to find a new place to live at the last minute. However, I will still probably have a party and good time. I will have to make up for it next year. I still hope to at least brew Monolith RIS on St. Patrick's Day. On the bright side, this new house is sooo much better for brewing than my last. I have a huge brewing room now.

I really wanted to make a stout or a red, but I just wasn't able to make that happen. I will have to settle for my hoppy brown ale that should be ready this weekend and my heffewiezen that should be ready then too.

I am brewing up a green beer for St. Paddy's day.....a green chile beer that is!! Best part is that I get to serve samples at a local restaurant/bar!!

I've got an Oatmeal Porter in bottles that should be carbed up soon, and a dark Vienna Lager that should be good to go by then.

I was hoping to have a keg of hefeweizen but I f*cked up and accidentally made it too damn delicious. There's only about a gallon left at the moment :) [50/50 Wheat/Munich, WLP 380]

My Chocolate Oatmeal Stout won't be ready:(...Wait...I still have plenty of my Smoked Wee Heavy and my Chocolate Chipotle Porter will be jjust right.:rockin:

I made a batch of Irish Red that I purposely went light on the color to dye it green, though i added too much peated malt (never used it before) and it has a real smokey aroma and flavor, not my best batch. Good thing I also have a vienna amber on tap and a citrus IPA waiting for the party so if no one likes the Irish I can toss the IPA in

Sraid Dhasian batch number one went into secondary last night, and batch number two got pitched onto the yeast cake. Batch one tastes like cold espresso, with a lot of character, and I've got a cold so I bet it tastes even better when you can smell it!

Excited to get this one in the keg.

Just picked up some vanilla beans to make my own version of vanilla cream stout. Wont be ready in time but have the oatmeal stout in the secondary should be ready soon.

I am rushing 5 gal of my "Ode to a Reese's Cup" Stout. Letting the other 5 gal ferment as usual.

I'm anxious to try v2 of my sunset gold apa with the Ahtanum & Sterling hops. rich hop smells from the airlock. Tomorrow we'll know finally!:tank:

I'm gonna brew a dry irish stout. 2.5 gal batch BIAB method. It'll be my third BIAB brew but first time brewing outside (on my balcony) using a 7 gal turkey fryer pot + burner. Got the grains a few days ago and was gonna brew but remembered that Saturday was St. Patty's day so I felt obligated to wait. Perle 2-row, roasted barley and flaked barley. Also going with 3% Acidulated Malt because I read it can produce similar effects as adding soured beer (like Guinness does). Going with EK Goldings and Wyeast Irish Ale yeast, so ya I'm hoping for a nice traditional irish stout.

my wife doesn't believe i'm irish. i poohed AND peed in my pants for a holiday. what more can i do???

I was gonna say,instead of drinking my irish beers,i was just going to drink like an irish instead..

Disappear for a few days, show up drunk with grass between your teeth and really, really dirty fingernails. And a black eye (just whack your nose against a door jamb, works trust me). This is the way.
that seems like a very elaborate plan...
ps - you had me at dirty fingernails....

2012-03-17_14-07-16_768.jpg

There it is. My Irish Stout for St. Patrick's Day. Slainte!

Drinkin my 2nd bottle of my Sunset Gold APAv2. Great head on 2nd bottle,great lacing,pretty clear too. No carbonation,so hops got nicked. Damn cold weather,I thought the house was just warm enough. Gotta swirl up some yeast in the bottles & let'em sit till my b-day the end of the month. Here's hopin...

I have not brewed for the last 12 years and today I cooked up a Belgian Schelde from an AHS LME/Grain kit using a full boil technique. As I was opening the cane sugar plastic pouch with scissors and managed to cut all the way through the plastic which of course then fell into the wort. Took about 8-10 minutes of stirring before I could finally trap the plastic with the mixing paddle. The boil and the hop additions went well. The new DIY IC worked very well. It was a Bobby M special. OG was 1.060 (supposed to be 1.065). I used a Wyeast smack pack and pitched around 78 degrees and gave it a good agitation. Attached a blowoff and put it in a cool part of the basement. Started thinking about the temp and decided to check and before any visible fermentation had started, the temp was actually about 85 degrees. Had a handle tub lying around and rigged up a swamp cooler. Temp is now in the mid 60s. Hopefully the fermentation will be off any running by morning.

The wealth of information located here is fantastic and the willingness of this community to share that information is incredible. Thanks to all the forum participants for helping to revive a hobby I used to love.

One additional note, as I was digging out the old bottles, I came across a ten year old Irish Stout. Seemed fitting to open one up today and give it a go. Decent carbonation, bubbles rising the whole time. The stout taste was there and it was drinkable. Not something I would want to serve others, but it was drinkable.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Opus

Back