St. Patricks Day brew schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
We are going to host a St. Patricks day party so what better excuse for another beer. Dry stout? Irish Red?

What do you have planned for a homebrewed St. Patricks offering?

Oh crap, thanks for the reminder, gotta get on this.

just color the finished product, i reckon.

a couple of years back we researched getting a keg of guinness for a party - ended up with 5 cases of the draft cans. nectar. now it's homebrew all the way - brewing up a stout for paddies day, sure it won't have the same characteristics as the guinness just coming from my bottles, but it will be mine!

The BIL is hosting, but asking me to supply the kegs.

10-Gallons Irish Stout (sig)
10-Gallons Munich Helles (for the BMC crowd)

Generally we tap kegs at around 9:30AM. There are about 50-60 people who eventually roll through during the day. He hires an Irish band. About 40 pounds of corned beef. We walk to the DogTown Parade. Watch the Irish dancers at St. Dominic's. Crawl back to the house by dinner and proceed to party till about 1:30AM.

A few of his friends are brewers at AB. ;)

Wow, that sounds like quite the party BM. I think I'd have to sneak in an afternoon nap at some point. ;)

Alright I am planning on brewing a Guiness Clone on Feb 10th, I'd like to make a harp style beer a week later but do not having lagering capabilities. Anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah, I am brewing an Irish red and a dry stout specifically to be consumed that day. Will have a Munich Helles, IIPA, and English IPA available as well.

hmmm...I just realized that my recent Amber is pretty close to an irish red with an american hop twist. Looks like a dry stout is in order!!!

sirsloop said:
as if we actually needed a reason to brew beer ;)

+1 hahaha

So I got my ingredients kit today for a Bass Ale Clone from Midwest homebrew. Is it just me or would it be really anti Saint Paddies if I brewed it for then?

Well I guess I could brew/buy some Guiness and do black and tans..

GloHoppa said:
So I got my ingredients kit today for a Bass Ale Clone from Midwest homebrew. Is it just me or would it be really anti Saint Paddies if I brewed it for then?

I say go for it! Plus I've made that kit before and it's a really great beer. :D

I have some Sweet Stout coming together soon. I am though thinking of a smoked porter for SPD.

I am though, keeping my options open and an eye on this thread for ideas.

This is slightly :off: but is anyone going to be brewing any Bocks right now for the Lenten season since that is the time they were brewed for, historically speaking?

Decided on a Dry Irish Stout based off Jamil Z's recipe with a touch of acid malt.

Dry Stout
13-A Dry Stout

Size: 5.14 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 144.46 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.044 (1.036 - 1.050)
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.007 - 1.011)
Color: 29.0 (25.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 4.27% (4.0% - 5.0%)
Bitterness: 30.61 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
6.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.75 lbs Barley Flaked
13.0 oz Roast Barley
2.0 oz Acidulated Malt
1.4 oz East Kent Goldings ( 5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 ea White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:33:00 Mash In - Liquor: 2.71 gal; Strike: 162.3 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 145.0 °F
01:43:00 Mash Out - Heat: 10.0 min; Target: 168.0 °F
02:28:00 Sparge - Sparge: 4.3 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 6.0 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 6.15 gal

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29

Going to bottle my dry stout today and am brewing an Irish red ale and an Irish drft ale tomorrow. Don'twant to run oput of beer on St. Paddy's day.

homebrewer_99 said:
Apparently, something you're not familiar with...:D :ban:

yeah yeah, i pre plan by looking through the midwest catalog and fantasizing about having money to buy a kit:ban: the joys of being in college...

GloHoppa said:
yeah yeah, i pre plan by looking through the midwest catalog and fantasizing about having money to buy a kit:ban: the joys of being in college...

Amen brotha. I've never really planned a brewing session properly, EVER, let alone preplan... jeez :D I really do hate being a poor student. Lol. I can't even remember when st pattys day is (shame on me) - it's quite a coincidence that I was thinking about brewing a stout soon then isn't it?

JeanLucD said:
I can't even remember when st pattys day is

Ok so where do I even begin, first it's St. Patrick's Day or Paddy's day. Second it's on March 17th. And third, yes shame on you!

bluechip101 said:
Anyone going to make green homebrew?

Please, Please, Please, don't brew anything green...

cd2448 said:
a couple of years back we researched getting a keg of Guinness for a party - ended up with 5 cases of the draft cans. nectar. now it's homebrew all the way - brewing up a stout for paddies day, sure it won't have the same characteristics as the Guinness just coming from my bottles, but it will be mine!

Cd2448 thanks for acknowledging that it'll be a stout not a Guinness clone. For one thing even Guinness draft cans and bottles are packed with a widget. You know that little plastic ball that was in your cans? That was full of the N2 / CO2 mix used in pubs over here.

I lived in the states for about a year so I saw pattys day for myself and although its not paddys day we had a great time and its a great party. We just tend to get sick of hearing things like
"Oh you're Irish, my great grand-fathers cousin was Irish, do you know the Murphy's of Cork?"

LOL

I have 10 gallons of oatmeal stout on hand aging and will be brewing an Irish red in a week or so then a german hefe since that is best drank fresh it needs less time and should be good for a st pattys day party.

rmck1 said:
We just tend to get sick of hearing things like
"Oh you're Irish, my great grand-fathers cousin was Irish, do you know the Murphy's of Cork?"

Now what's really funny is part of my family is from around Cork! And its not a crazy long connection either, its my grandparents!

On topic, I've got a stout on tap with a ton left over and Orfy's Hobgoblin fired up last week, so I should be prepared for the big day...but who knows, i may brew more for fun.

rmck1 said:
Cd2448 thanks for acknowledging that it'll be a stout not a Guinness clone. For one thing even Guinness draft cans and bottles are packed with a widget. You know that little plastic ball that was in your cans? That was full of the N2 / CO2 mix used in pubs over here.

Actually just drank a hydro sample. It's shaping up really well - and this is only four days in! If it has half the mouth feel and taste when carbed and ready to drink, I'll be delighted.

Sure you can't beat the draft guinness from cans (if there's no decent stout on tap near you) but even with some mad kegging setup and a special tap I think it's extremely hard to reproduce. Now when will someone start selling those little plastic balls for homebrew usage? Hang on, is this finally my million dollar idea?

Other than the stout I'm starting a pseudo lager this weekend (S23 apparently can deal with a little warmer temps, it'll still be 55-60), and now I'm itching to do a weihenstephan dunkles weissbier, or maybe a schniederweiss style. Paddy's can't come quickly enough!

I'll be brewing a Stout next weekend - this weekend I have to suffer through a 4 day Bahamas cruise. Woe is me.

Nice!

I'm in for another batch of the dry stout in this thread this Saturday! I've repeated it several times w/ Williamette and its become a favorite.

I should add that this is the current recipe version and the original used WLP007 also:

Size: 5.14 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 79.0%
Calories: 135.27 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.041 (1.036 - 1.050)
|=============#==================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.009 (1.007 - 1.011)
|==============#=================|
Color: 29.12 (25.0 - 40.0)
|============#===================|
Alcohol: 4.24% (4.0% - 5.0%)
|===========#====================|