Irish Red Ale St Fuad's Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pulled a sample off of the primary to get a gravity reading and the color is a little too light. Looks like the SRM is about 13. Any ideas on what I can add/change to darken it up a bit the next time I brew this one?

Just kegged my second batch of this and I have to say it fell well short of the first batch I did.

This time around i had to use non-malted roatsed barley of 300L because i cant find the roasted barley in 450L anymore. It wasnt a dark red beer at all. I also messed up my brewing technique somewhere because the OG was low and the Fg was low.

Brewed about 3 weeks ago, hitting every number and mashing at ~156F. Except for a minor hop stoppage(which is leading me to avoid the 2x 90" bends I use), the brew day went perfect.

Fermented @ 63F for two weeks and counting, planning to keg and crash cool some point next week.

Sampled and tasted last night with a FG of 1.016. I thought I detected some esters, but the taste was what I'd expect from a Irish Red.

Looking forward to the final product soon.

I am almost through enjoying the last pint of this fine Irish Red. Keeps getting smoother with age. Low hop aroma and taste with a great malty profile. I will be brewing this one again. I do need to tweak the specialty grains a bit to get some more red/ruby color in the beer.

went into the keg today. On paper, this beer went as close to the recipe's numbers as I can get. I'll crash cool and carb this week, posting thoughts at some point.

went into the keg today. On paper, this beer went as close to the recipe's numbers as I can get. I'll crash cool and carb this week, posting thoughts at some point.
could you post a picture of a pint of the beer? I would like to compare it to the color i got off my recent brewing of this.

Will do as soon as I get it carbed and start bottling, which should be some time this weekend.

I will agree with you based on what I saw. The color did not seem to be all that "ruby red" but the taste seemed to be there as far as I can tell.

I'll also try to grab some other irish red's from the nearby craft brew store to compare color/taste.

Will do as soon as I get it carbed and start bottling, which should be some time this weekend.

I will agree with you based on what I saw. The color did not seem to be all that "ruby red" but the taste seemed to be there as far as I can tell.

I'll also try to grab some other irish red's from the nearby craft brew store to compare color/taste.
I brewed this about a year ago and I got a dark red color and excellent brew. The second time, I got crap efficiency and it was way lighter than before.

Very interested in your rating since your numbers indicate you nailed it.

I'd rate it pretty highly and a crowd pleaser.

I had a small party the weekend following that post. The day after I went to bottle the rest up and only got 6 .5L bottles filled, hence no followup photo. Everyone enjoyed it, especially the SWMBO.

As far as notes go, the color never was "Ruby red". However, aroma and taste, from what I remember, was exactly what you would expect from this recipe. Whatever esters were present prior to kegging went away shortly after. You could slightly taste them again if the beer was warm, but you had to be looking for it at that point.

When I finally move and get my equipment unpacked, this is likely the first thing I'm making, since it was universally enjoyed.

Crap on a bike! Brewed a double batch of this today. No idea how it happened, but the OG came out 1.070!! :drunk:

ubermick,

I had a similar issue today ... ended up with 5.5 gallons at 1.073. Not sure what to deal is ...

Everything went extremely smooth with the brew day and really looking forward to trying this brew. Followed the recipe to the T except I used Safale-4 (too lazy/not enough time to fool with a starter).

Well, whatever happened on this, it's awful. As noted above, the OG was 1.070, and despite all attempts of repitching extra yeast, the FG was 1.021, and it tastes like drinking syrup. Will perhaps chuck an ounce of EKGs into the keg to try and balance it out.

Brewed this for a second time about six weeks ago. I am enjoying the fruits of my labor. Great beer once again.

I'm kinda new to this so please bear with me. The recipe has a batch size of 5.5 gallons. Does this mean that I should be fermenting 5.5 gallons rather than a standard 5 gallon batch? Is this with or without the trub?

Thanks, Rich

soooooooooooooo i punched th8is recipe in on beeersmith.... starting gravity is 1.068... did you/I do something wrong?

working my way through my second pint of this. Its about 3 weeks in the keg, smooth, clean, with a hint of sarsaparilla. My local pub brews a red, and I think in a couple of weeks this one will be better. I'll brew this one again.

Has anyone tried the St Fuads american brown?

Brewing this one for the 2nd time today absolutely loved it the first time. This is my first batch after about a 2 year break from brewing, so here's to hoping I don't screw it up too bad! :mug:

I can't seem to get roasted barley at my LHBS anymore. He's got debittered I guess but i dont think that is the same at all.

soooooooooooooo i punched th8is recipe in on beeersmith.... starting gravity is 1.068... did you/I do something wrong?

I got this also when I put it into Beersmith. I'm confused.

Also, could I do the first hop addition at 50 minues to make it a little less sweet?

Anyone tried a secondary fermentation in some Irish whiskey soaked wood chips, I was considering it as an experiment.

Rebrewing this today as I restart my all grain finally. Really looking forward as I got to drink so little of it last time!

Has anyone brewed this recipe with Maris Otter instead of Vienna Malt. I brewed this recipe with Vienna and everyone loved it.

Okay, so I got the ingredients for this and am looking forward to starting it. One weird question- I was just part of a buddy's wedding and wanted to have some of this aged for his one year anniversary. She's as irish as they come and he is Filipino. Was thinking of splitting the batch and racking to secondary onto of some pureed mangos to kinda have Irish/Filipino beer. Figured the maltiness and sweetness of mango would work well together; what do y'all think? Should I add more hops to counteract and leave some bitterness after aging?

With St Patricks Day just around the corner I'm getting this going tomorrow. Looking forward to it, and will post images when I get to that point!

Has anyone brewed this recipe with Maris Otter instead of Vienna Malt. I brewed this recipe with Vienna and everyone loved it.

I've used Maris Otter quite a bit - IMHO, it would be great.

I was just at The Local Home Brew Depot. I wanted to get a whole bag of Maris Otter, but they don't inventory it that way, ...or didn't have that much.

I was thinking of doing a red also. I was surprised to have seen this thread surface in "My Replies" today.

One of the first all-grains I did was a red.

Putting this one into action. I prefer to skip racking to secondary - 2-3 weeks in primary suffice?

Question: I pitched 10 days ago from a 1L starter at 1.054 and 11 days later (fermentation seemed to be done in 3-4 days) I'm only at 1.021. Any idea what might have happened? I didn't do anything strange outside of the grains being crushed for 11 days before mashing. Mashed at 156 and stayed there for 60 minutes.

Thanks,

Back