St. Arnold's Divine Reserve #6: My first Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Holy Moly! Like the title says this is my first barleywine and MAN it is TASTY! I've long liked IPAs and such so I'm surprised this is my first example of this style.

I found out it was coming out this week bc of the thread EdWort started the other day about the local brewer being famous. In the article it said that the Divine Reserve was being released at the end of this week. I immediately called my liquor store and found out that this is the first year that Corpus Christi is being distributed to and that there are only 8cases being shipped to only 1 store! I made a deal with my buddy that works there....I traded him two bombers of HB for him setting me aside a 6er. THEN I called a few brewers I know locally and gave them the heads up.....gotta take care of yourself first right :D

I REALLY am bad at describing at what I'm seeing/tasting bc I just haven't done it much but......I'll give it a shot (maybe its the liquid courage :drunk:)

A- Ruby red with a bit of clarity but I can see the little swirl of yeast in the glass. I can see through it when I put it up to my monitor but only a little. Honestly this beer has the biggest, thickest head I have ever seen....this thing doesn't stop! The head lasts through the pint with pretty moderate lacing

S- Chock full of hops! Very citrusy and piney. IT SMELLS AWESOME Under the hops is a bready, fruity aroma just pulling me in

T-Just like it smells, incredibly hoppy (and I like it!!), fruity and filling. While it's big and hoppy, its surprisingly drinkable.

M-Thick and filling but again, its not TOOO thick

D- Can I have another? :) I REALLY want to have another one but......I'm going to TRY and hold off. It would be pretty sweet to try one every two months so......I'm gonna try...

Here's what St. Arnolds has to say: http://www.saintarnold.com/beers/divine.html

And BA: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/337/43157

After drinking this pint I'm PUMPED about the 999! I can't WAIT to brew a barleywine now. I'm thinking about going back and doing the 777 and maybe the 888 now that I've got more time/money post graduation

EDIT: Dude, thats pretty cool...........They just bottled this beer a week ago yesterday!
EDIT #2: SWMBO just had a sip....she said "Thats the worst thing I've ever drank ever!! Why do they want to sell a beer that tastes like that!" Hehehehehehe :D

just had a fresh pint at the dig pub here in cedar park, just north of austin. they tapped the keg at 4 pm and we got there around 5:30-ish. had a pint of that and a pint of real ale's brewhouse brown. SWMBO had a pint of avery's white rascal and a pint of left hand's sawtooth ale. the divine reserve was a very good barley wine. i brewed a version that was similar a year ago, but with a slightly more red color. if you guys can find it, i would highly recommend it.

Sweet! I picked up 2 six packs at Spec's today in Houston. They had arrived 30 minutes prior to my asking if they had it. It was hidden in the back and there was a 2 six pack limit. I'm looking forward to enjoying one a month for a year!

hey EdWort, ever been to the dig pub in cedar park??? if not, i would highly recommend it. it's owned by a husband and wife and it opened in october-ish. they have an amazing beer and wine selection. supposedly they are gonna have a small homebrew competition in august. i love to support the local businesses and this place fits the bill. it's probably only 20 minutes from bee caves. just take 620 to anderson mill and hook a right on cypress creek. it'll be on your left.

hey EdWort, ever been to the dig pub in cedar park??? if not, i would highly recommend it. it's owned by a husband and wife and it opened in october-ish. they have an amazing beer and wine selection. supposedly they are gonna have a small homebrew competition in august. i love to support the local businesses and this place fits the bill. it's probably only 20 minutes from bee caves. just take 620 to anderson mill and hook a right on cypress creek. it'll be on your left.

Never been there, but I've heard good things about it. It's twice as far as Uncle Billy's on Barton Springs Rd. I'll be glad to give it a visit some time.

Never been there, but I've heard good things about it. It's twice as far as Uncle Billy's on Barton Springs Rd. I'll be glad to give it a visit some time.

same here for me. bout twice as far to uncle billy's as it is to the dig. but uncle billy's does have some awesome BBQ!!! plus, it's always nice to head down to the gingerman for a nightcap

Was really bummed cause I was stuck in Mexico on Biz the 12th and 13th and figured I missed out on number 6. But, alas while buying goods to prepare dinner I ran across TWO six packs of this gold at.. err umm. Better keep that one a secret. Imagine. two six packs on JUNE 17th five days after release at 8 p.m. Needless to say I am enjoying one of my catches now.

Back