SS immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
I haven't seen this before but I found a SS immersion chiller for $73.00. It is 5/16" @ 50' rather than most 3/8" @25'. Any benefit to SS or any drawbacks to SS that any of you might foresee? tell me what you think.

Thanks

BMW-LBD

SS does not conduct heat as well as copper, so your IC would be less efficient. I am sure there are some advantages to a SS IC, but I can't see them outweighing the importance of efficiency.

Yes SS is less efficient. But I think I would like a SS IC. My reasoning is thus...

We spend all this dough to have our awesome stainless setups and avoid contacting our precious wort with anything we deem less worthy, then what do all of us do, splash a massive piece of copper into the mix just at the most critical time. I like the idea of a SS IC and think I will be going that way. Just add some extra length and the efficiency problem is negated.

This is the same reason I don't understand copper pickup tubes. We should all just buy brass fittings then and save ~$60 a kettle.

Only my small rant and humble opinion. Do what you all will.:drunk:

The ss is less efficient in heat transfer, but it's not going to be a major factor for a wort chiller that's 50 feet long.

Well here is just one more post about the copper. If you look in any brewery you will see copper MLT's which are used because they have good heat transfer. Copper is not an issue as far as it being in contact with wort. Just my 2 cents. :)

I think I'd like having a chiller that didn't tarnish or get stained by the hops. So it takes another 2-3 minutes to cool the batch.

I've never seen a copper plate chiller in a brewery or a copper plate chiller period.

Stainless steel is a less efficient conductor of heat, but I believe most stainless steel tubing is much thinner than copper. I'm sure you would have no problem with that 50' cooler.

david_42 said:
I've never seen a copper plate chiller in a brewery or a copper plate chiller period.

I would think that copper being a soft metal would be a less than ideal choice of material for a plate chiller that is designed to be disassembled for cleaning as commercial plate chillers are. Dents or nicks in the outside edges of the chiller might prevent a good seal.

I don't know this for a fact...just thinkin'. :D

Yeah, but my point is we pay at least twice for all the other stainless fittings we all (most) buy. From my local metal supplier I can get 50' of 1/2 303 welded stainless tube for $120. Sounds pretty tempting to me. Its definitely on the list.

I can wrap my hands around the handles of a keggle with 11 gallons of boiling wort in it because SS is such a poor conductor of heat. Someone commented on another post that once an immersion chiller reaches the same temperature as the wort the wall thickness of the tubing is no longer a factor. Thin-walled SS doesn't offer any advantages to thicker-walled SS. I've seen these sold online, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a chiller considering the added expense and length of chill time.

Copper also has certain inherent antimicrobial properties. That's why hospital railing and door hardware are often made of copper.

Back