SS Hop Filter and Electric Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snicklefritz

Reaction score
First, not sure if I should have posted this here or in the Equipment forum. Mods, if I am wrong please move this.

I just purchased a SS hop filter for my BK that is 6"x16". This will put the bottom of the filter about 1/2"-3/4" above my electric element. I'm assuming this will not cause any issues but wanted to hear from some people with similar setups. How far off the element do you keep your filter?

First, not sure if I should have posted this here or in the Equipment forum. Mods, if I am wrong please move this.

I just purchased a SS fop filter for my BK that is 6"x16". This will put the bottom of the filter about 1/2"-3/4" above my electric element. I'm assuming this will not cause any issues but wanted to hear from some people with similar setups. How far off the element do you keep your filter?

Don't you mean 6x 14? Mine actually touches my element... No issues from it at all. You should be fine.

No, I got the 6x16 one (its like $15 more). I wanted to get as close as possible to my element without touching since I mostly do 5 gallon batches. My kettle is 18 3/4" tall and the element is 2" from the bottom.

I have a 6x14" SS filter and it sits about 1.5" from the top of the element in my 8 gallon vessel. Personally, I would like a little more space, because it would allow for a little more flow and circulation around and through the screen, but I haven't had any issues thus far. I plan on using the same filter as part of a 62 quart system that I am putting together, and it will be further from the element as the vessel is significantly wider and taller. For me it will allow for what I expect to be greater circulation, but I really can't say whether it will amount to better hop utilization or not. I think you are fine though . . . keep 'em wet and the water hot, and the hops will work their magic.

I'm assuming in your case this filter's a cone you're dumping the hops into during the boil and then when you drain the hops stay (mostly) behind? Basically a hop spider?

That'll work fine even if it's against the element as everyone else who doesn't do anything to stop their hops from hitting the heating element during the boil (like me) are fine.

Kal

Kal,

That was kind of what I was thinking but having never used a hop spider before I wasn't sure if the hops would end up all clumping up towards the bottom (I use pellets) and possibly scorching. I'm probably just over thinking it. The filter arrived last night and it's actually about 1" above the element. I'm not really concerned with it after seeing it in the kettle. All set to test it out with a brew session tomorrow!

I'm assuming in your case this filter's a cone you're dumping the hops into during the boil and then when you drain the hops stay (mostly) behind? Basically a hop spider?

That'll work fine even if it's against the element as everyone else who doesn't do anything to stop their hops from hitting the heating element during the boil (like me) are fine.

Kal
Yes that exactly how mines setup (as I mentioned touching the element and does not matter at all)
damnit now I want a bigger spider!! I already have two sizes.... Mine is perfect for my short 13 gallon kettle but I want to go with matching 16 gallon kettles since I got the "bling" bug and its not deep enough for 5 gallons in the taller pot. My element touches the side of my spider though and is not under it.

Nope, the boil will keep them in constant motion (contained within the spider tube). If you didn't use the spider tube, the hops would be doing the same within the entire kettle.

Kal

Back