SS element won't come clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I just brewed with a new SS element and I can't get it clean. AFter I took this picture I did soak it in PBW. Some did come off but I'd say it still has half or so of this film left. What else can I try?

20170411_184635_zpsyubdupvp.jpg

Can't see the picture. How long did you soak it in PBW?

Yeah Google Pictures sucks. I just fixed it.

After brewing I recirculated PBW through my system for an hour. That didn't do anything. I soaked just the element for about 2 hours just now and used a sponge (not the brillo side).

Edit: Sorry mods, I meant to put this in electric brewing not extract brewing. This can be deleted.

I just brewed with a new SS element and I can't get it clean. AFter I took this picture I did soak it in PBW. Some did come off but I'd say it still has half or so of this film left. What else can I try?

20170411_184635_zpsyubdupvp.jpg

Do this. I've been doing it forever with the ripple ULWD elements. No prob. After the burn, spray it off with hose. Sparkling clean. YMMV :)

First burn is very smokey, green smoke. I let that go for about 10 seconds. Then I do the second burn so I can see the element. When it gets cherry red, you know you got it clean.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKG3UjT0Wz4[/ame]

Do this. I've been doing it forever with the ripple ULWD elements. No prob. After the burn, spray it off with hose. Sparkling clean. YMMV :)

First burn is very smokey, green smoke. I let that go for about 10 seconds. Then I do the second burn so I can see the element. When it gets cherry red, you know you got it clean.

Aren't you supposed to never dry fire your element?

Looks very effective. I dont brew electric yet but was surprised to see this after reading about all the fail safes ppl build in to not dry fire.

My first thought was BKF or CLR soak.

I honestly just use some stainless steel wool scrubbers I picked up at the local Walmart for 1$ and they work great! Best part is no worries dry firing :p

Use a scotchbrite pad or Bar keepers friend from the grocery store and it will wipe right off... I am thinking maybe this is from the minerals in your water because Ive have about 4 different types of elements in my BK over the years and never had such difficulties... some people just use a piece of rope to clean them.

^^
Agree.... I just 'dry fired' my electric element when I was recirculating PBW through my BK and the hose slipped out of the clamp. it was dry firing for.... too long.
the coil was black and grey and not looking too good. I took it apart from the BK, used brewer's friends and a green scotch bright scrubby and it looks and works like its brand new. That combo of scotch bright scrubby/bar keepers is a must for anything stainless.

After each batch I fill the kettle with about 6 inches of PBW solution and heat it to 140F for 20 minutes or so. The element is three years old and still looks shiny as new. Use a small bristle brush and a scouring pad with the hot PBW to clean any thick goo off the element. Rinse and flush the element and kettle a few times with hot water then you are ready for the next brewday.

I have a RO system. Minerals shouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure what this stuff could be. I did use whirlfloc for the first time. It is a similar color. Wouldn't think it would do that but maybe it did.

I'll try BKF and a scotch Brite pad. I was trying to avoid using the pad to avoid scratching but I think I'd rather have it clean.

I just tried BKF and a scotch brite. It seemed to work a little but I'd be there for over an hour trying to get it clean. It was taking a lot more elbow grease than I would have thought. My last element didn't get this bad. Could it be the element?

wirlfloc is not the issue I use it every brew.. I am not sure why your buildup is so tough to remove... I wipe mine off right after brewing and it comes off easy. I have the same type of 5500watt stainless TC based element (Only mine is actually a cheap $16 element so its nothing special.)

Please do not dry fire the element, especially if it has a zinc or SS coating (which it looks like yours does). I've ruined a handful doing this by accident. The coating burns off and the metal weakens, causing it to split and immediately fail because it shorts out. Soak it in PBW over night, scrub with a hard bristle brush, that usually does it for me. Sometimes the HLT element can get a mineral buildup which PBW has a tough time breaking up but star san (phosphoric acid) breaks up nicely. So you can also try that.

I do not recommend using barkeepers friend on anything inside the kettle because barkeepers friend leaves a residue behind to keep to SS shiny. It's great for outside of the kettles, but you don't want that residue inside your beer. If you give something a hard scrub in barkeepers friend and then come back later with some windex and a paper towel you'll see it pulls off a black film.

Hope this helps!

wirlfloc is not the issue I use it every brew.. I am not sure why your buildup is so tough to remove... I wipe mine off right after brewing and it comes off easy. I have the same type of 5500watt stainless TC based element (Only mine is actually a cheap $16 element so its nothing special.)

I don't understand why it is this tough either. This was an extract batch that I randomly bought to try. I mixed the extract with boiling water in another pot so the element wouldn't get gunked up. I wouldn't think extract is to blame.

Please do not dry fire the element, especially if it has a zinc or SS coating (which it looks like yours does). I've ruined a handful doing this by accident. The coating burns off and the metal weakens, causing it to split and immediately fail because it shorts out. Soak it in PBW over night, scrub with a hard bristle brush, that usually does it for me. Sometimes the HLT element can get a mineral buildup which PBW has a tough time breaking up but star san (phosphoric acid) breaks up nicely. So you can also try that.

I do not recommend using barkeepers friend on anything inside the kettle because barkeepers friend leaves a residue behind to keep to SS shiny. It's great for outside of the kettles, but you don't want that residue inside your beer. If you give something a hard scrub in barkeepers friend and then come back later with some windex and a paper towel you'll see it pulls off a black film.

Hope this helps!

I'm hoping this overnight soak will help. I actually just switched to Iodophor from Star San just to try something new. I wouldn't think this stuff will hurt the element. If this soak doesn't work, I'll be getting Star San again after this Iodophor is gone so I'll try that next.

Hope this helps!

Yea, all I know is the camco elements I have. I've intentionally dryfired them so many times, they just love it. I do it after every brew now. That video above is mine, if it wasn't obvious, and it's exactly how I clean them after a brew session.

I just assumed that, since it works so well for me, it would work for others, but I guess if you have a different element it might not work out for you.

i scrub as best i can and then say 'f it, boil kettle, don't care about some crud'. i'm only 10 months into brewing on my elements, may do something more drastic after a year.

Overnight PBW soak and scrub pad worked. I guess the recirculating PBW and hour soak I did before just wasn't enough.

Yea, all I know is the camco elements I have. I've intentionally dryfired them so many times, they just love it. I do it after every brew now. That video above is mine, if it wasn't obvious, and it's exactly how I clean them after a brew session.

I just assumed that, since it works so well for me, it would work for others, but I guess if you have a different element it might not work out for you.

Your are the dark incolony ones though right?

Back