SS Conical Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallo_pug

Reaction score
What is the best choice for adding a thermometer to a ss conical fermenter. There are no fittings or pre-drilled holes. Most of the weld less types say they are for mash tun or hlt. Is there a different or better choice for a fermenter. Thanks

I use a thermowell with digital controller. Works great, no drilling, no welding.

phpThumb.php

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16672//Stopper_Thermowell

What is the best choice for adding a thermometer to a ss conical fermenter. There are no fittings or pre-drilled holes. Most of the weld less types say they are for mash tun or hlt. Is there a different or better choice for a fermenter. Thanks

mine came with a weldless thermometer it worked rather well

CONICAL2.jpg

I was going to suggest drilling a small hole in the lid and putting a small rubber grommet in the hole, then inserting a long stem dial thermometer through it. If you can find a stopper with two holes where one is a bit smaller to fit the airlock and one a dial thermometer with an upright display, that might work. You'd need to see if the dial got in the way of the airlock.

That said, the beer on a 7 or 14 gallon conical is going to be within a degree of the room temperature after it stabilizes anyway. I have a thermometer in mine, but don't pay much attention to it. Then again, I'm not brewing beers that are sensitive to temperature very often either (e.g., german hefe's, etc.).

The weldless thermometers aren't a sanitary design. You'll have threaded fittings, nut, etc. sitting in your wort/beer. Not clean.

I'm very much simple is better kinda guy. I agree with Emian - a liquid crystal thermometer is extremely accurate (much more than a bi-metal thermo). I have measured using RTD's and the core temp vs wall temp is less than a degree at high krausen. Insignificant. If you are using a freezer/fridge with a Ranco/Love control simply tape the probe onto the sidewall using aluminum duct tape. Works awesome and limits thermal cycling.

Latest posts

Back