SS Chronical — What am I goofing up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeppilot

Reaction score
Got a new SS Chronical and am trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong? The clear tube barely fills at all except near the bottom where it fills up. Lots of bubbles as I push the beer into the keg. I don’t think I’m getting air sucked in because the fitting between lines is very tight. If the clear tube runs like this, there is no point in having it. I just wanted to see the flow.

Process: dip tube is pointed down until after fermentation is complete, then rotated just above horizontal to start transfer. I attach the transfer line to liquid keg post, then attach gas to fermenter (pressure set 1-2 psi before attaching). I open the valve fully on the fermenter and then vent the keg using gas side disconnect.

Attachments

• IMG_1880.MOV
    19.6 MB
How much pressure do you have on the chronicle when doing the transfer?
2 psi or so? I’m waiting on a pressure gauge with a 15 psi limit so I can semi accurately read my pressure for transfer. It’s not much but the vessel won’t take more than that. Should be plenty unless something is blocked. I’m thinking about turning my diptube 90 degrees so it doesn’t fill with flocculated yeast from the top OR from the bottom up.

Are you dumping trub/yeast before you try to transfer? Sometimes the trub/yeast on the bottom can cover the dip tube even when it is in the up position. Make sure you dump trub/yeast at least once before you try to transfer so the dip tube is getting beer, not trub/yeast.
Yeah I have been doing that. Once anyway. May need to try a second.

Back