Ss Brewtech RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I was just looking to see if this had been released last night. I was kinda hoping for a 120v version and a lower price, but that is very nice and still pretty tempting.

Unless its different than pictured its still not an incoloy element... Those have a dull dark gray colored surface. The pictured element appears regular stainless

I wouldn’t position my pump head as they have in the diagram. It’ll trap air and cavitate. LOL. Otherwise looks a Blickmann

Trapped air has nothing to do with cavitation. A non self-priming pump needs to be placed low so that it will prime properly. Blichmann doesn't have the TC connections and the insulation is a plus too. I wonder if we will ever see a European version on offer?

Sorry, should have put a comma there: 1) trap air, and 2) cavitate differentiating between the two different issues caused by that configuration. Otherwise, looks like a Blickmann (with TC connections).

Looks great. I like that the cord comes out of the side instead of the bottom (like Blichmann's does) so it should be easier to mount or simply place on a table. Also, the insulation is a nice plus.

The insulated jacked seems like a useless farkle to me. But I'm willing to listen to rational supporting arguments. Maybe they plan on selling a lot of them in Antarctica.

There is no reason the liquid will mix well. There is too much dead space. The liquid can come in side port, and immediately flow toward the outlet, especially when heated on that side. The liquid on the other side will sit and get super heated by coil on that side. With rapid enough flow this will not be an issue as more mixing will be induced, but as slow levels (I can't say where that threshold is), it will be a problem. This is one of the reasons current designs are long and slender - to ensure adequate slow heating, contact, and mixing (obviously using off the shelf heaters is a reason too).

Glad to see they put a decent power output on this - but I think the design wasn't well tested at slow flow.

Well considering the output power I don't think slow flow was ever an option and anyway any significant temperature gradient would cause significant convection which in such a small vessel would provide more than adequate mixing.

One would hope they tested this prior to releasing it but I guess you never know anymore these days

Well considering the output power I don't think slow flow was ever an option and anyway any significant temperature gradient would cause significant convection which in such a small vessel would provide more than adequate mixing.
that said I'm guessing a person would have to crush pretty course and use a lot of rice hulls with this?
This design makes me wonder if theres anyone just using one of the electric kettles as a grant/rims setup in the same way?

This is partly true but still will likely not generate much compared to flow. The saving grace is the wattage density which is likely very low. Anyway having tested multiple RIMs configurations, the jury’s out on this design for me. Curious to hear experiences once in the wild.

Design looks good to me. Sure, I see a path for wort to flow around the element, but still looks like the convoluted spirals will create plenty of turbulence. If it comes back on sale, I'll probably take the early adopter plunge.

I"m wondering if I can direct-mount it to my mash tun, with the pump after. I wonder if you can remove that conical base.

Im curious about this device as well. I know they want to plug this device as an accessory to their MLT, but given the power, Im wondering if this could be used with a regular kettle + false bottom? I'd love to hear some usage examples. Did anyone around here buy one?

Back