Ss BrewTech FTSs Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
What is the dependability rate on these controllers?

I am using one to control glycol coolant and had it set at 65F where it was steady for a week. I tried to adjust my temps during fermentation and the controller wouldn't accept the new temp. I did a reset, turned it off, unplugged it...and all the normal things, nothing. It is keeping 65F as a set point and not accepting temp changes up or down.

The controller is maybe 2 years old...is reliability a common concern?

Mine is fairly new, but I had no issues with accepting temp or anything.

I do hear that SS has great support though, have you reached out?

What is the dependability rate on these controllers?

I am using one to control glycol coolant and had it set at 65F where it was steady for a week. I tried to adjust my temps during fermentation and the controller wouldn't accept the new temp. I did a reset, turned it off, unplugged it...and all the normal things, nothing. It is keeping 65F as a set point and not accepting temp changes up or down.

The controller is maybe 2 years old...is reliability a common concern?

Odd. I have 4 of them and haven't had this issue. I would shoot them an email and see what they say. They are pretty solid in the customer service department for just about everything.

Ss is very good at their customer service and relations. That said I had my controller crap out after only a few months. I contacted Ss, told them my problem, and had a new one all in less than a week. I believe they put a year warranty on all their products. If yours falls outside of that I'd reach out and see what they can do

I am using an Inkbird to get me patched up until Ss reaches out with advice.

I found a female to female barrel coupler so I connected the FTSs DC pump plug to the AC power supply plug and bypassed the controller. The controller is basically in-line between the pump and AC power supply, so I bypassed the FTSs controller. From there I plugged the power pack into the Inkbird's AC cooling receptacle so the Inkbird is now controlling the pump. This works fine and I spent $28 on the Inkbird on a sale recently.

Yeah, the FTSs controller is well out of warranty, and if faced with the purchase of a new controller, this Inkbird works perfectly.

Am asking this since I have two more of the controllers and hoping they are not a weak link in the chain.

I use a brewpi to manage my pump/heater. That said, I have two controllers available if you need one. A dual stage and a single stage. If you wanted one for backup...just saying.

You can't beat the programming of the brewpi. That's what I disliked about the ftss controller. If I wanted to raise the temp I had to be there all the time or just ramp it all of the way up. With brewpi, I can raise it 4 degrees over the course of 24 hours. I love it.

The gray graph is the glycol chiller, the top graphs are the beer. It's a slight workaround until brewpi gets fully updated to work with glycol and multi chamber. But it's working great as is.

jTG986W.png

I am using an Inkbird to get me patched up until Ss reaches out with advice.

I found a female to female barrel coupler so I connected the FTSs DC pump plug to the AC power supply plug and bypassed the controller. The controller is basically in-line between the pump and AC power supply, so I bypassed the FTSs controller. From there I plugged the power pack into the Inkbird's AC cooling receptacle so the Inkbird is now controlling the pump. This works fine and I spent $28 on the Inkbird on a sale recently.

Yeah, the FTSs controller is well out of warranty, and if faced with the purchase of a new controller, this Inkbird works perfectly.

Am asking this since I have two more of the controllers and hoping they are not a weak link in the chain.

Do you have a link for the female to female barrel coupler?

I've had two for a couple years and have had no issues. Hopefully it's a fluke.

You did hit "set" first, right? 🙃

Do you have a link for the female to female barrel coupler?

Sure, I got this on Amazon for like $2.95

Jacobs Parts DC Coupler Female to Female F/F 5.5mm x 2.1mm Barrel Jack Power Connector Plug for LED / CCTV

JACOBSPARTS

JacobsParts DC Coupler Female to Female F/F 5.5mm x 2.1mm Barrel Jack Power Connector Plug for LED / CCTV

I use a brewpi to manage my pump/heater. That said, I have two controllers available if you need one. A dual stage and a single stage. If you wanted one for backup...just saying.

You can't beat the programming of the brewpi. That's what I disliked about the ftss controller. If I wanted to raise the temp I had to be there all the time or just ramp it all of the way up. With brewpi, I can raise it 4 degrees over the course of 24 hours. I love it.

The gray graph is the glycol chiller, the top graphs are the beer. It's a slight workaround until brewpi gets fully updated to work with glycol and multi chamber. But it's working great as is.

jTG986W.png

Sure that's a nice offer, and I'd like to have a single and a dual FTSs backup contollers. If you PM me, we should be able to work out a price to make it worth your while.

The Inkbird controller I am using is a decent FTSs controller substitute, but it offers no other programming flexibility like your system has.

I like the idea of a BrewPi but don't have much knowledge of that system. Is it run by a laptop that can be controlled via wifi?

Latest posts

Back