Ss Brewtech eBrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
I am very interested in this and wanted to set up a thread on this product.

Got any links?

Here it is

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/pages/electric-brewing

e_brewing_wide3_2000x.progressive.jpg

excited for them to come out with a complete all in one system.
i don't like the handle orientation and don't understand why they went with it.

edit- nevermind, I went back to their site and they orient the handles that way to save space in a 3V system. I'm REALLY hoping they put the handles back to the sides for their full ebiab all in one system. spring 2019?

For me it's a constant comparison to the Unibrau. Their basket and pump recirc mash setup is great looking.

SS has a better element and controller. Better diptube. 240v. Their plate chiller looks to be the best out there. (ease of use AND being able to quickly disassemble for cleaning)
Just waiting on SS's basket design and price for whole system.

Last edited:
excited for them to come out with a complete all in one system.
i don't like the handle orientation and don't understand why they went with it.

edit- nevermind, I went back to their site and they orient the handles that way to save space in a 3V system. I'm REALLY hoping they put the handles back to the sides for their full ebiab all in one system. spring 2019?

For me it's a constant comparison to the Unibrau. Their basket and pump recirc mash setup is great looking.

SS has a better element and controller. Better diptube. 240v. Their plate chiller looks to be the best out there. (ease of use AND being able to quickly disassemble for cleaning)
Just waiting on SS's basket design and price for whole system.

What don't you like about the front to back style handles? I much prefer them that way because it makes things easier to move around for cleaning.

Also, I'm curious to see how easy it really is to break down and clean that plate chiller. Plate and frame chillers are nice because you can break them down, but in my experience it's hardly an easy task and you have to be careful with all the gaskets.

I'm sure it's a pain, but at least it's doable.
I honestly bcant tell you why, but i hate that handle orientation. I guess a part of it is that I'm just used to right and left, but also the way i would use the pot, the north/south handles is just a lil awkward

well, i ordered the 1V kit anyways. i hate waiting.
got notice that it shipped monday.
i dunno what theyre gonna include in the full kit, but i just wanna get going. i might buy whatever their basket solution is later.
for now im gonna have a false bottom made and grab a wilserbag.
anyone else buy this yet? get it already??
im excited just to get it and clean it/run water though it and time heat up and calculate boiloff

Just the opposite here. I got tired of waiting on SS Brewtech and bought something else. I was all ready to pull the trigger on a new electric system when I heard them at Homebrew Con announce their new product line was coming out in October. So I waited for three months and was very disappointed that on some components were ready and we were still going to have to wait for a complete system. So I bought the system I first had my eye on.
High Gravity Electric Brew System pic#3.JPG IMG_2744.JPG

I have the V2 kit, received it this last week. So far, I'm quite impressed! The 240v elements heat extremely fast. I did a test run with 72° water; hit boiling in 29 minutes. At 160° water, i hit boiling in under 10!

The kit is very well made. There are some issues, like no whirlpool attachment, but they will have one soon.

The controller is top notch, however, it does require a dedicated 240v & a standard 110v outlet.

One thing that stands out; they integrated the thermowell into the heating element, thus freeing up a port for othef accessories!

I'm still waiting on mine.
Sooooooo many options to consider after i get it. and yeah, i asked about whirlpool attachment and they said it would be out soon.
I'm so curious what will be inclluded in the full eBIABn system when they release it. i wonder if buying the second "half" of the full systm will be an option for those of us who bought the 1V at launch????

the controller and cables showed up today. looks to be very high quality!
even the packaging is high end, lol.
now just waiting on the kettle and element.

I gotta say I'm NOT super thrilled about the crazy short cord runs to power the thing.
I'm right there with you on the cord runs. I also was pretty miffed when i realized it also required the 110v cable. It was not mentioned at all!

A $2k plus system should have EVERYTHING needed to work, right out of the box(s)!

I'm right there with you on the cord runs. I also was pretty miffed when i realized it also required the 110v cable. It was not mentioned at all!

A $2k plus system should have EVERYTHING needed to work, right out of the box(s)!
it's not a problem for me, but i didn't realize it needed the 110v.

So I cleaned up the area in my basement where I'm gonna be brewing with the ekettle. It's gonna be on a stainless table. What would homebrewtalk recommend putting under the kettle to avoid heating up the table?

So, my brother is an electrician and is telling me there's no way to really gfci protect a 3 wire plug. I've read many threads on here, the ss brewtech fb user group, and other online sources and quite frankly I'm more confused than ever.
He insists it'll be fine.
Can one of you knowledgable electric guys please spoon feed me this info in laymans speak? (I apologize for having the stupids here)
what do i need to make it work?
the theory behind it.
I'm getting a little aggravated.

ALSO, why in the world would ss brewtech not opt for a four wire setup if this was indeed designed from the ground up???

So, my brother is an electrician and is telling me there's no way to really gfci protect a 3 wire plug. I've read many threads on here, the ss brewtech fb user group, and other online sources and quite frankly I'm more confused than ever.
He insists it'll be fine.
Can one of you knowledgable electric guys please spoon feed me this info in laymans speak? (I apologize for having the stupids here)
what do i need to make it work?
the theory behind it.
I'm getting a little aggravated.

ALSO, why in the world would ss brewtech not opt for a four wire setup if this was indeed designed from the ground up???

To provide GFCI for a 240v (only) circuit, you need two hots and a ground. Under normal operating conditions, all of the power that "leaves" one hot will "return" via the other hot, and the GFCI stays happy.

Old-school 3-wire dryer outlets would have the Neutral bonded to Ground at the panel, so you have two hots and a Neutral/Ground. This was a limited exception to code that allowed dryers to have both 240v elements (like the heater) and 120v components (like a motor or perhaps the control panel).

This is where you would get into trouble with a GFCI on a 3-wire circuit. If you try to use one hot and the Neutral/Ground to create a 120v circuit, such as for the pump outlets on the side of the SS Brewtech controller, the GFCI will trip the moment you turn the pump on, because the two hots will no longer be balanced. The presumption--which happens to be inaccurate in this case--is that the current leakage it's seeing is potentially coursing through a human, and this is exactly what the GFCI was invented to prevent.

So how does SSB get around this? If you look carefully, in addition to the 3-wire 240v plug (L6-30P), there is ALSO a standard 120v household plug (NEMA 5-15). It's this second plug that actually powers the two 120v accessory outlets. This should be plugged into a GFCI outlet also, because the one on the 240v circuit only provides protection for the element and (most of) the controller.

Brülosophy just posted a review on SS Brewtech kettle. It looks amazing. I want to move to electric single vessel BIAB and I really like the SS Brewtech setup. They say they will be releasing the 20 gal version in Jan/feb.

Brülosophy just posted a review on SS Brewtech kettle. It looks amazing. I want to move to electric single vessel BIAB and I really like the SS Brewtech setup. They say they will be releasing the 20 gal version in Jan/feb.
so glad i just saw your post and read that review!!
also, I'm coming from 10 gallon batches and back to 5, lol
I don't care if the 20 gallon verision ever comes out!

Last edited:
I’m waiting for SS Brewtechs single vessel BIAB system to come out. Should be this spring.

What don't you like about the front to back style handles? I much prefer them that way because it makes things easier to move around for cleaning.

Also, I'm curious to see how easy it really is to break down and clean that plate chiller. Plate and frame chillers are nice because you can break them down, but in my experience it's hardly an easy task and you have to be careful with all the gaskets.
I cannot find thier plate chiller anywhere? I am using a sabco frame style plate chiller now for a 3bbl setup and have also read that its a pain to disassemble and clean. I have not used it enough to have to do this yet but do not look forward to it.

Awesome thank you! It's about 2 inches smaller in diameter than the 15 gallon SSBrewtech i have, but that should not be a big deal.
I would imagine they'll have a 20 gallon version out at some point too as it was listed as "ekettle- 10 gallon silicone mat"

Looking a dropping my PicoBrew Z1 pre-order and exchange it for this system. How do folks like it that actually paid for it? Also any recommendations for starting with eBAIB with it? What all accessories do I need as they don't really have a starter eBAIB kit... I'm not looking at going 3 vessel yet

They're supposed to be releasing a biab system some time this spring. I've been holding out for it, otherwise I'd have gotten the single vessel system.

Well, I went out and bought the Ss Brewtech 1v system and I just completed my first brew using electric and biab (eBIAB). All I can say is that is was the smoothest and most accurate batch I've ever brewed in my 9 years. I love the accuracy and ease of use of electric vs. NG and the brew bag vs. cooler was simple and fast to use and clean.

I ground my grains to 0.025, which seemed to be the sweet spot. My brew house efficiency was 79.2%. The grain absorption and/or evaporation rate was a litte off vs the predicted amount in beersmith. I had more liquid than expected, which probably hurt my pre-boil gravity reading a tad. (est. 1.040 vs. actual of 1.036). So I boiled about 10 minutes longer and ended up hitting my OG exactly at 1.050.

So overall I am extremely happy with my first attempt at not only electric brewing, but also BIAB (using Ss Brewtech 1v and a Brew Bag). I wish I would have converted earlier. :):mug:

Thinking I might pull the trigger on the 1v rather than wait for the all in one device they promise with no public available data yet. The new device isn't really a "biab" device, but rather an all in one device from what I've read and heard.

That said I'm converting from extract bottling to all grain and a keg system... So I'm a little confused what"accessories" I would need with the 1v system (kettle and controller). Aka what hoses and connectors would I also need to purchase? Wish there was a 1v ebiab starter bundle vs the 3 vessel starter bundle... That is over kill for 10gal systems (really for anything 2bbt of less from what I've gathered).

Thinking I might pull the trigger on the 1v rather than wait for the all in one device they promise with no public available data yet. The new device isn't really a "biab" device, but rather an all in one device from what I've read and heard.

That said I'm converting from extract bottling to all grain and a keg system... So I'm a little confused what"accessories" I would need with the 1v system (kettle and controller). Aka what hoses and connectors would I also need to purchase? Wish there was a 1v ebiab starter bundle vs the 3 vessel starter bundle... That is over kill for 10gal systems (really for anything 2bbt of less from what I've gathered).

I'm not sure what they'll include in the "BIAB Bundle", but it works for eBIAB as is. The only other things I needed was a bag, a winch (to lift the bag after mash), adding a 240v 30a line to my brew room. I already had a pump and necessary hoses, so not a lot to add.

Back