Ss Brewtech 5.5gal Kettle - Low Quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchbrewer

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my deception around the SS Brewtech quality and my frustration regarding their customer service so far...

Take a look at the pictures...

They almost immediately proposed a small compensation that I was ready to accept under one condition - getting an extended warranty.

The answer was straight forward : it's a clearance item.. they will not stand behind their product! That is a pity especially as soon as it was just a sale (reiterated for black Friday) and never mentioned anything about low quality or defects...

Now I asked for a bigger compensation cause they will not extend the warranty.

Since then .. no answer!!

Any advice, suggestion?

Thanks!
IMG_20191128_090229__01.jpeg
IMG_20191126_184652.jpeg
IMG_20191126_184609.jpeg
IMG_20191126_184555.jpeg

Its a clearance item. Isn’t that akin to buying a used car, as is? You didn’t buy a new unit.

Does it work? Does it hold, heat, and boil liquid?

Not sure where the deception is. Did you see pics before you bought it and it didn’t show any of those defects?

No it's not :) clearance here is just old stock that they want to get rid of. I bought a new item. Nowhere was stated second hand or product with defect.
If you go and buy a car. The salesman may have in stock a old and new version of the model you are looking for in stock correct? As soon as people like the newest stuff he may give you a discount if you take the previous version. Does it mean that it comes with defects? Nope! Just maybe not as much bells and whistles than the new one.

Long story short yes I guess it would heat and boil but to continue your car comparison if you buy a previous version Jaguar and there is scratches everywhere and low quality material... Yes it will work for sometime, maybe even for longtime. You will just be disappointed that you bought an exclusive brand to drive a basic quality car.

Same exact feeling here.
Its a clearance item. Isn’t that akin to buying a used car, as is? You didn’t buy a new unit.

Does it work? Does it hold, heat, and boil liquid?

Not sure where the deception is. Did you see pics before you bought it and it didn’t show any of those defects?

3rd picture down...
That might be a problem there.
Looks like the holes are big enough that they might let some water/wort through.
:p

Bar keepers friend will get rid of the rust and beer will take care of everything else.
:cask:

In your original post you said that they said it was a clearance item. If it was in fact bought as new, then have them exchange it. It’s not rocket science. Something is fishy here.

What is the first picture of? I would definitely remove the yarn before use and I do not like the look of that rust. The other pictures do not seem to have any problems.

That said, there customer service is terrible. The ball lock that I got had bolts holding it together that I could never figure out what size they where nor could they. Was told they were 1/2", that did not fit nor did any mm wrench, then using an adjustable wrench found that one was not the same as the other three. Could never get a second response from them.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s cookware or not, if he paid for a new item, then he deserves an item in new condition. This equipment isn’t cheap. That being said, I don’t see any major issues in your photos. As mentioned BKF will take off that rust.

Last edited:
I just edited that out before I saw your comment. I saw that they were offering Black Friday deals, but I didn’t see where they mentioned any conditioning issues either.

But he didn't pay full price, he bought it on sale and then they offered an additional discount when he complained.

Lol so when I buy a car that has a sales promotion I should assume and accept flaws? I don't think that's how it works.

There was standard inventory items (not blemished items) listed on sale. The customer received sub par goods and they gave him money back because they items should have been sold as blemished. All is square for both parties but trying to pass off blemished items (or having poor quality control) shouldn't become a customers problem.

Lol so when I buy a car that has a sales promotion I should assume and accept flaws? I don't think that's how it works.

There was standard inventory items (not blemished items) listed on sale. The customer received sub par goods and they gave him money back because they items should have been sold as blemished. All is square for both parties but trying to pass off blemished items (or having poor quality control) shouldn't become a customers problem.

Has anyone but the OP seen the actual posting for that actual pot? I agree that if it was misrepresented as being new first quality, it shouldn't be the customers problem. But I assume it was discounted and it was acknowledged that the company offered an additional discount. Unacceptable to the OP, but unreasonable. Not in my opinion.

It's common for some things you buy new to have minor cosmetic flaws. When you buy a new house the lawn won't be perfectly manicured.
If you inspect a car closely enough you will find tiny cosmetic flaws. If there's a mark on the seatbelt and little scratch on the tailpipe you don't call the manufacture and demand an extended warranty and a discount.

It's common for some things you buy new to have minor cosmetic flaws. When you buy a new house the lawn won't be perfectly manicured.
If you inspect a car closely enough you will find tiny cosmetic flaws. If there's a mark on the seatbelt and little scratch on the tailpipe you don't call the manufacture and demand an extended warranty and a discount.

There are scratches, rust and polishing flaws. If the customer could go and inspect the product (like you do with a house or car) I guarantee he wouldn't have bought that kettle.

It was a clearance item people. How much was a brand new one and how much was this clearance one? Not fair to bash a vendor for buying a clearance item, which usually means flaws.

Clearance to me means getting rid of excess stock, possibly because a new model in coming in.

The only thing that would bother me is whatever that is in the first picture. I can't tell what it is.

No it's not :) clearance here is just old stock that they want to get rid of. I bought a new item. Nowhere was stated second hand or product with defect.
If you go and buy a car. The salesman may have in stock a old and new version of the model you are looking for in stock correct? As soon as people like the newest stuff he may give you a discount if you take the previous version. Does it mean that it comes with defects? Nope! Just maybe not as much bells and whistles than the new one.

Long story short yes I guess it would heat and boil but to continue your car comparison if you buy a previous version Jaguar and there is scratches everywhere and low quality material... Yes it will work for sometime, maybe even for longtime. You will just be disappointed that you bought an exclusive brand to drive a basic quality car.

Same exact feeling here.

Uhoh you've upset the SS apologist. Watch out.

Maybe to the vendor clearance also means scratch and dent, who knows. But they were also willing to provide a small compensation, which apparently wasn’t good enough, so he comes here to bash. Maybe he should have just returned it and chose another vendor.

IMO, It was probably a pretty good discount to begin with. The OP expected new condition. We don't know the details in the listing, just taking the OP's word that it didn't say anything about scratch and dent. The OP was dissatisfied, called and got a further compensation. That was not good enough for the OP. The story stops here. If he is still dissatisfied - return it...

Back