Ss Brewtech 1V eBrewing 10/20Gal system & 14Gal UniTank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrenolin

SportBrewing
Reaction score
So I'm looking to step up to electric BIAB and looking at this setup. I'd like to start doing both 6 and 12 gallon batches. I'm ordering the 14Gal UniTank (have 2 x 7Gal Brew Buckets now). I'll need the 20Gal 1V eBrewing setup for the 12 gallon batches but my question is...

Is the 20Gal kettle to large for a 6Gal biab batch? Really don't want to have to buy the 10Gal eKettle as well.

Thank you

Didn't think this would be a hard question to answer by the more experienced.. :(

I think part of the reason there hasn't been a response is that it's not a straightforward question. For example, the grain bill and the height of the false bottom are really what your answer is dependent on. Getting the mash fully submerged could be tricky, especially if you won't be doing a full volume mash. Keep in mind the kettle is about 17.7" in diameter, so a very rough calculation puts it at just over a gallon of water per inch of depth in that kettle. Are you able to fit the element, dip tube, temp probe, false bottom, and then grains on top in maybe 8 - 9 inches of water? You may struggle or you may not depending on the grain bill.

I'd like to caveat this by saying i'm still an amateur, but my mental math thinks you may struggle doing a 6 gallon batch in this kettle. Does not mean there aren't creative solutions though.

Last edited:
When I bought my electric system I told the retailer that I wanted to do both 5 and 10 gallon batches. When I asked about their 20 gallon kettle set-up they said it probably wouldn't be practical for those 5 gallon batches. I didn't ask why and they didn't elaborate but I chose to get 15 instead of 20 gallon kettles.

So I ordered the 20Gal system after hearing back from Ss finally. The 20Gal system WILL do as small as 3-4Gal batches due to the low Halo coil element they use. As most of my brews will be 10-12Gal batches this shouldn't be a big deal and my smaller batches will still shoot for a finished 5.5Gal batch so hopefully all is good. Worst case I shell out the extra $350 for the smaller 10Gal ekettle but shouldn't need to. Should arrive on Friday! BTW.. no false bottom is required and a BIAB Bag can actually rest ON the element without burning or scorching which is nice.

The 14Gal UniTank, 1/5HP Glycol chiller, FTSs2 Upgrade kit, Blichmann Riptide Pump and various accessories all arrived on Monday. Looking to order one of the JaDeD immersion chillers next along with choosing a quick release setup for the hoses and pump.

So I ordered the 20Gal system after hearing back from Ss finally. The 20Gal system WILL do as small as 3-4Gal batches due to the low Halo coil element they use. As most of my brews will be 10-12Gal batches this shouldn't be a big deal and my smaller batches will still shoot for a finished 5.5Gal batch so hopefully all is good. Worst case I shell out the extra $350 for the smaller 10Gal ekettle but shouldn't need to. Should arrive on Friday! BTW.. no false bottom is required and a BIAB Bag can actually rest ON the element without burning or scorching which is nice.

The 14Gal UniTank, 1/5HP Glycol chiller, FTSs2 Upgrade kit, Blichmann Riptide Pump and various accessories all arrived on Monday. Looking to order one of the JaDeD immersion chillers next along with choosing a quick release setup for the hoses and pump.

Those ULWD coil elements work great for BIAB and don't scorch or burn the bag! I think you'll love that aspect.
I don't have the SsBrewtech kettle but my Blichmann kettle with boil coil is similar in design. I use the Brew Bag and found that the whirlpool from the riptide during mash is strong enough in my kettle to keep the grain bed stirred up, though I do stir once or twice just to check.
Your batches will be much larger so may require more stirring.
I use the 3.5 and the 7 gal brew buckets and love them.
Congrats on your new set up and keep us posted on how it progresses.

Those ULWD coil elements work great for BIAB and don't scorch or burn the bag! I think you'll love that aspect.
I don't have the SsBrewtech kettle but my Blichmann kettle with boil coil is similar in design. I use the Brew Bag and found that the whirlpool from the riptide during mash is strong enough in my kettle to keep the grain bed stirred up, though I do stir once or twice just to check.
Your batches will be much larger so may require more stirring.
I use the 3.5 and the 7 gal brew buckets and love them.
Congrats on your new set up and keep us posted on how it progresses.

Thanks! I actually looked at the Blichmann setup and their coil. I nearly bought their coil and controller to retrofit into a Ss 10G kettle I have but decided not to molest that pot. I ordered the whirlpool fitting for the ekettle and will be reversing its direction to counterclockwise since the JaDeD immersion chillers run clockwise and hope that aids in cooling speed. I'm not sure if the whirlpool will work on smaller batches yet but it should work with double or larger batches. With the Riptide pushing the whirlpool I'm looking forward to seeing how well it keeps things moving.

I have 2 of the 7Gal Brew Buckets, one with the FTSs setup which I just received the FTSs2 upgrade for. Been thinking I may add one of those smaller 3.5 ones as well for experimenting batches.

Exciting to start playing with the new setup for sure.

Attachments

• 79368311_10157036683829366_893981138966544384_o.jpg
    79368311_10157036683829366_893981138966544384_o.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 58
Thanks! I actually looked at the Blichmann setup and their coil. I nearly bought their coil and controller to retrofit into a Ss 10G kettle I have but decided not to molest that pot. I ordered the whirlpool fitting for the ekettle and will be reversing its direction to counterclockwise since the JaDeD immersion chillers run clockwise and hope that aids in cooling speed. I'm not sure if the whirlpool will work on smaller batches yet but it should work with double or larger batches. With the Riptide pushing the whirlpool I'm looking forward to seeing how well it keeps things moving.

I have 2 of the 7Gal Brew Buckets, one with the FTSs setup which I just received the FTSs2 upgrade for. Been thinking I may add one of those smaller 3.5 ones as well for experimenting batches.

Exciting to start playing with the new setup for sure.

Nice setup! Mine is pretty basic in my garage and shared with my woodworking equipment, so not a lot of space. I use a mini-fridge with an ink bird and a heat grid for temp control on the fermenter. Nothing fancy but it's enough for me to brew.

Attachments

• 20191108_122426.jpg
    20191108_122426.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 20181125_082950.jpg
    20181125_082950.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 20191108_120330.jpg
    20191108_120330.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Back