SS Brewtech 14 gallon Unitank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVilleBrewing

Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg So, was really sitting on the fence, should I get another fermenter. Just for reference, I own a Stout 14 gallon, and a Brewers Hardware 15 gallon, non jacketed. I also work 1 day a week at a 25bbl brewery, so am familiar with both the homebrew,mand professional side. Seduced by a good price from a vendor, pulled the trigger on the above fermenter. Arrived, and when I opened the box, and unpacked, was disappointed to say the least. I will list my observations:

--Tall and narrow, all the fittings crowded together. The pic on SS sight show, by there own admission the pic are of the 1/2 barrel and one barrel.......now I see why
--Very light stripped, lighter than my other 2 fermenters stripped....SS does not list a thickness anywhere...mmmm
--Racking arm. Non existent. Just a dip tube really. Press fit in a dedicated butterfly valve. Which brings to next issue.
--TC fittings. Claim to be 1 1/2 TC. The only 1 1/2 is the bottom dump, the rest are all 1" TC.
That being said, you cannot use a Stout or Brewers Hardware racking arm, which are true 1 1/2 TC
--The finish is almost brushed stainless, very grainy. Nowhere near the polish of the Stout or BH
--Neoprene jacket. Cannot be removed with out removing EVERYTHING including unbolted the 4 feet. A real hassle cleaning!
-- And finally, the last straw, the reason I sent it back for a refund. The top TC for the blow off cane was welded crooked. Glaring so. Enough that in trying to bolt the cane to the side bracket, the top buckled slightly. Contacted SS supporters, and Ss Chadwick responded that is hand welded, just bend it, it will be ok. Bend it! On a $1000 plus item! Hand welded or not, no excuse for a crooked item. I wrote him back, saying this is not a satisfactory response, and I was not happy.....no reply! That was was deciding factor in returning this item.

Hope this long post helps some people in their purchase decision. Just my own experience. Have included a few pics, though the crooked TC looks much worse in person.

Seems like their quality has really been slipping. This is about the 3rd QC issue I've seen this week.

I am sure if you said you preferred a new part vs bending the existing one they would send you one. Anytime I have had any issues they have always been very accommodating. Sucks though.

I am sure if you said you preferred a new part vs bending the existing one they would send you one. Anytime I have had any issues they have always been very accommodating. Sucks though.
Would have needed a whole new tank, the TC was welded on crooked. When I emailed back that I was was not satisfied with just bending the top of tank, I got no further reply. I suspect that American eyes never look at these....they are made and boxed up in China, then just warehoused and shipped. Probably why you can not get individual parts, like a chiller coil, or even the heat or cool package. Ss does not but buy the parts separate.

Would have needed a whole new tank, the TC was welded on crooked. When I emailed back that I was was not satisfied with just bending the top of tank, I got no further reply. I suspect that American eyes never look at these....they are made and boxed up in China, then just warehoused and shipped. Probably why you can not get individual parts, like a chiller coil, or even the heat or cool package. Ss does not but buy the parts separate.

They said in one post that QC is done in Asia. I’m pretty sure by a meme we do their staff not that manufacture so they can reject defective units without having to ship them back.

Latest posts

Back