Ss Brew Bucket and TSP cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runt135

Reaction score
Hey I just got my Brew Bucket and it says to use a TSP cleaner(don't even know what that is). Is this really necessary or is just dawn soap and a sponge good enough? Thanks in advance all.

Hey I just got my Brew Bucket and it says to use a TSP cleaner(don't even know what that is). Is this really necessary or is just dawn soap and a sponge good enough? Thanks in advance all.

any paint store or home depot type store carries it and as an owner of two brew buckets, I think you need that or a good bit of pbw

I had to do mine twice and I think i still had a bit of oil floating on the surface.

its cheap, go get it and be sure.

It's a strong alkaline cleaner. You can get it at home depot (paint dept) cheap. Some areas don't allow it's sale (due to the phosphates) so they carry something called TSP-PF (phosphate free).

Follow their instructions if you like, but if I didn't already have TSP I'd just use soap and water like every other thing I've ever used in the kitchen.

I also just got a oxygenation wand so I need to hit up a Home Depot for oxygen tanks anyway. Might as well pick up some tsp. thanks again.

I'd definitely recommend it. A ton of black junk came off of my Chronical when scrubbing it with TSP. Wouldn't want that in my beer. I got mine off of Amazon.

I just picked up some TSP today at Benjamin Moore Paint store for my Brew Bucket. If you ask the rep and they don't seem to know what it is right off the bat just ask for the isle with the cleaning supplies. The first rep I spoke to hadn't heard of it and was about to just say they don't have it but I said they most certainly have it. So he asked another guy who knew immediately and directed us to the isle.

Rev.

Ok I got some liquid tsp. Cleaned it with a sponge. It's going through a long pbw soak now. I would hope that's enough.

My Brewbucket needed a good scrubbing before it's first use. Soaking in PBW didn't help much, it still had a coating of what I think was polishing compound. I ended up just cleaning it with Bar Keepers Friend.

I usebar keepersfriend myself on all my new stainless, along with a bit of elbow grease. This also passivates the stainless.

I usebar keepersfriend myself on all my new stainless, along with a bit of elbow grease. This also passivates the stainless.

Ss Brewing recommended me to avoid using Bar Keeper's Friend on their items with the electrically etched volume markers as it can fade them.

Rev.

Sorry to wake a dead thread but wakey wakey .. thread.

I Received my SSBT brewmaster bucket a couple months ago.

I purchased TSP and followed the instructions to passivate it ..... TSP....then Star San soak... then PBW... then sanitize... then beer.....

So I Racked to keg after 2 weeks.. kegged my IPA. FG was 1.008 (wlp001) FG sample tasted metallic..y (yeah I know it could be a lot of things yada yadda yeast...temps...improper oxygenation etc..) Im OCD about cleaning things...Fermented in a temp controlled fridge w thermowelll at 67-29*F.... use a clean sanitized oxygenation wand... treat my yeast like royalty.. lol.

Anywho.

The beer after 7 days of carbonating has a metallic/penny like finish. Its super disappointing. Almost tastes peachy/overly fruity a bit too maybe. (I used whole leaf hops for dry hopping 8 days) in a cleaned and sanitized nylon bag)

Anyway back to the point. I took the fermenter and some Bar Keepers Friend and cleaned the crap out of it ( being careful not to scrub the markings on the inside to avoid fading) I got a TON of silver/grey color on my yellow soft sponge.. was this the culprit?

Shoulda just used BKF to start with. Lesson learned. Fermenter cleaned !

Back