SS Braid MLT Drainage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
Greetings...

On my 2nd AG batch I plan to use my 5-gallon round MLT instead of my 12-gallon rectangular MLT. My larger MLT has a copper manifold and the smaller MLT has a SS braid. When I tested my larger MLT for drainage, it only left about 8oz of water behind (tested with just water and no grain for drainage). I just tested my smaller MLT and it left 44oz of water behind. I assume that the SS braid doesn't allow the same siphoning properties as the copper manifold, and since the ball valve bulk head is not right at the bottom of the cooler. I can set up my numbers in Beersmith to account for this dead space, but is there any simple way to improve the drainage?

Your Manifold is larger and will displace more water above it. It is the mass of you filter, thats it. All this I believe to be negligible. But, no doubt if you are going to take the time to build a Copper manifold you will get better drainage. End result use three feet of SS braid... Joking of course

Agreed, not a big deal. Tilt itand you will get almost all of the runnnings. When you figure the grain displacing most of the liquid wort, you are only leaving behind a small quantity of the final weak runnings,

Latest posts

Back