Squirrel Melts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe C

Reaction score
Discuss.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlK0Xd4c2c]YouTube - squirrel melts[/ame]

Actually squirrel is pretty good fried or in a stew. However, below is a pic of a pair of squirrels that were playing on one of our 69KV/13KV 275 MW transformers. Can you tell which one touched a output bushing? I knew you could.:D The explosion killed his buddy as well. Put the transformer OOC for 2 weeks as well.

PEPCOFriedSquirrel.jpg

WOW.

As much as the woman slightly disturbed me, I would eat squirrel. I just don't think I'd be the one to shoot it. If HWMO kills it, I'll clean it.

It just seems like taunting to mix those delicious nuts in with the squirrel! ;)

Squirrel is good. I've had it more times than I can count. Baked in a pan full of cream of mushroom soup. Tastes like chicken. ;)

I guess I'm too much of a city girl. If it came skinned, cleaned and in shrink wrap...maybe I'd eat squirrel. I'll eat most anything with enough ketchup!;)

I made Squirrel Vindaloo-style this past winter. It was quite good. I use a .22, a shotgun is no challenge really.

I've had squirrel plenty of times... after shooting them when I got tired of not seeing any grouse (up in PA). It's not bad, a lot like chicken, but a little more rubbery (just a little). Squirrel Potpie is good. The biggest pain in the ass is getting that damn skin off. I used to read all these hunting books about how you just cut a slit in the back of the neck and yank it right off and other "tricks", but they never worked for me! For the little meat you get, it stopped being worth the trouble.

Just pulled some mouse jerky out of the lawn mower's air intake. Not enough to bother with.

I made Squirrel Vindaloo-style this past winter. It was quite good. I use a .22, a shotgun is no challenge really.

I hope you're only taking ground shots. Shooting a rifle into the air (even a .22) is not on the list of things I think are wise to do.

OMG! That woman CREEPS me out!

And adding pecans to the pulled squirrel meat?! How F'd up is that?! That's like eating bits of me on top of pizza... just wrong, wrong, wrong.

That's pretty nasty, I mean I'm not saying I haven't accidentally eaten squirrel at some point.. see: Mcdonalds, panda express, etc. (out of site out of mind) but as far as conciously eating a squirrel.. I couldn't do it. I will stick to what I know. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Aunt Bethany: What's that sound?
Uncle Lewis: You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant.

Clark: [a squirrel is loose in the house] Where is Eddie? He usually eats these goddamn things.
Catherine: Not recently, Clark, he read that squirrels were high in cholesterol.

[As Clark is trying to catch the loose squirrel]
Clark: Russ, go get the hammer.
Ellen: Clark, what do you need a hammer for?
Clark: I'm gonna catch it in the coat... And smack it with the hammer.
Ellen: You are not going to kill that squirrel in front of all these kids!
Clark: Well honey, what do you suggest?
Clark Sr: (extreme close up) SQUUUIIIIRRRREEELLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did they really just use shotguns to hut squirrels?

I'm surprised there was anything left to eat.... talk about overkill.

Shotguns are used since you get a spread of pellets and more likely to hit something that is jumping around. If you are in it for food and not for sport shotguns are fine, makes it an easy kill and you really don't get a ton of pellets in the squirrel if you are using the right shot and correct choke (no choke)

hey, those little rifles are damn accurate! one of my favorite pasttimes is shooting in the desert and hitting the little target time and time again, just watching it go:

*ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl} *ping* {swirl}

ahh, good times :D

OH man, I used to hunt a bunch and have killed all sorts of things in my lifetime but it was so sad to watch that little thing get its head blown off and wriggle around on the ground.

EDIT: those squirrel melts sure do look good though

Squirrel is good. I've had it more times than I can count. Baked in a pan full of cream of mushroom soup. Tastes like chicken. ;)

If that's really true, it seems like a lot of work/effort to get something that tastes like something that's readily available for 99 cents a pound

Back