Squeezing grains (bad)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdurhamxx

Reaction score
Hello all. Recently I did a few partial mash batches following the stickied instructions posted by deathbrewer. However I did squeeze my grains in hopes of extracting as much sugar as possible. Are there any drawbacks to such a method? Thanks for the help

Some folks will tell you not to squeeze the grains because it releases the bitter tannins within the grain husks... I've always been told not to squeeze, but I don't see any real harm in it... You may have a slightly more bitter taste.

I just sit my grains in a strainer over my brew pot and let it drip for a while after sparging. Then I give it a couple shakes and put it in a plastic bowl. Then when I add my extract and get that stirred in real good, I come back to the plastic bowl and pour in whatever else dripped out. Then the grains are off to a holding bin ready to make grain cookies. I'm an extract brewer so far, so I usually only have specialty grains.

Yup, that's all about tannins. I don't mind 'em particularly since I'm one for strong teas and such. They do make for a rather raspy kind of bitter, depending on what you're doing could add something interesting to the right brew.

To play it safe though just let 'em drain real good. A gentle squeezing might not do too much if you're an impatient sort.

I always oversparged and squeezed the **** out of the bag with no ill effect. Then I'd let it drip into a measuring cup while the wort got up to a boil and I'd pitch that when I start my boil timer. I always taste things while I brew and I've never tasted 'tannins' from any of my mini-mash steeps.

Squeezing the bag will not release tannins. You should feel free to squeeze the bag to your heart's content - just be careful, it's usually pretty hot.

If you have an inferior-quality bag you could split the seams when you squeeze and have a mess to deal with.

At least I imagine so - I swear that's never happened to me in my vast experience of brewing two extract kits with steeping grains. :eek:

Latest posts

Back