Square food storage containers as fermentors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensyverson

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using one of these as a fermentor?
rubbermaid_6322.jpg

A few different manufacturers make them, including Rubbermaid, under the Carb-X brand (part # 6322). The one above is 18 qt, but they make 22 qt also. Price comparison here

They're obviously food safe, clear, lightweight, stackable, with handles, and the square corners would make for easy pouring. They make lids for them too, which could be drilled for blowoff or airlocks.

I'm looking to replace my glass, and this seems like an option. Any thoughts?

22 qt is pretty small for a primary...

You could get a 6 gallon HDPE container for $15

Other than the small size, I dont see why it wouldnt work.

Those are food service containers. They might work O.K. for the primary, but they are not airtight.

Got a Petsmart or other big box pet store near you?

Petsmart sells pet food containers that some people have used as fermenters. They have really airtight lids that IIR screw on.

Just put a hole and grommet for and airlock on it.

Gamma Plastics Vittles Vaults available through Petsmart. They are food grade, stackable, come in various sizes, and have an airtight locking lid...

32120780-177x150-0-0.jpg

You can also order them on line in various sizes even from amazon, and many online pet supply dealers.

In fact ONE online LHBS has taken thier 22 gallon sized, slapped a spigot and and airlock on it and have the nerve to sell it for nearly 100 bucks...Considering you can get one for about 50.00 (if not cheaper) then spend a total of 4 more bucks for both a spigot and an airlock....They probably stole the idea from discussions on here...

TuffTank22.jpg

Others also use it for grain storage...

I don't care too much about whether it's air tight or not...

Well unless you want to weigh down those lids with bricks you may care. Or else you will most likely end up with a painted ceiling, or come bacl to find the lid popped off and your cat or dog took a drink out of it. :D

IIRC, the lids for those square foodgrade tubs don't have the strongest fit, more like a cheap tupperware knockoff. You can often pop them off pretty easily with your thumbs. You want at least the strength of a bucket fermenter/or paint bucket lid, those have a larger lip which the lid snaps around really tight.

You think it would blow the lid even with a blowoff tube?

The containers like that that I have come across have real flimsy seeming lid seals...and the lid material is kinda rubbery feeling...it seems to me that if you had foam (read active krausen and co2) pushing up that conceivably you could have krausen and liquid pouring down from under the lid, like putting too much detergent in your washing machine or dishwasher.

I guess it would depend on the lid, it's seal, and how active fermentaion you have. If you go shopping for one just make sure it's a really tight feeling seal. If you can apply thumb pressure upward on it, and have it open...co2 and krausen "Might" be able to as well.

If you are looking for a cheap alternative to a bucket or carboy there are plenty of other decent ones available, those that I showed from pet smart, the cubetainers that many are using for "no chill" brewing....and a ton of things on the Us plastics website.

I use one of the translucent ones to make Sauerkraut. You should see the lacto culture you get on top.

But I don't think the lid will seal sufficiently to make them very practical for beer.

Update: I wound up just picking one of these up at the restaurant supply down the street. I drilled a hole in the top for a blowoff tube (nice tight fit), and promptly brewed up a Saison.

It's been fermenting for a day now, and I can tell you the lid is definitely NOT airtight. The blowoff tube has not produced a single bubble. So CO2 is definitely escaping through the lid. It's actually a big relief, because I was worried about the lid blowing to the ceiling.

The cool thing about it is that since it's square and transparent, I have a very clear view of the fermentation. Overall, I think it's a success as a primary, and would work as a short-term secondary (long term it may let in too much O2). I'll try to post a picture soon!

Revvy, that's a great idea... I bet this would fit in my fridge!

SWMBO will be thrilled, I'm sure. :D

if it was a bigger container i'd worry about those handles snapping of under the weight.

looks like it makes for a decent 'small batch/test batch' vessel.

might need a secondary though with those yeast piles up high, they'll probably mix in when racking.

I think I'm going to twist the whole container back and forth to clear the yeast piles, and then wait an hour or two before racking. Hopefully that will do the trick!

I guess all my batches are small/test, because I only do 5 gal batches!

I'm seeing the fermentation temps in the upper 70s and low 80s there....Unless you making a saison or something like that, you might want to keep the fermentation temps much lower.

I believe it turned out to be $22, though you can find them cheaper online. So, not the cheapest option, but I definitely prefer it to my plastic buckets (can't see in) and glass carboys (too dangerous). And I like the size / shape more than a Better Bottle.

Back