Spring IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlantern

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I am working on an IPA style (may not be 100% to style, but don't care) for the spring. Looking for smooth and easy with a strong citrus flavor. Here is where I am so far

The Numbers:
Batch Size: 5.75 gal
Boil Size: 6.58 gal
Color: 6.3 SRM
Bitterness: 61.0 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.067 (16.4° P) ash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est FG: 1.015 SG (3.8° P) Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
ABV: 6.9%

Grain Bill and hop additions:

5 lbs 12.00 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
5 lbs 12.00 oz Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs 4.00 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
12.00 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
10.00 oz Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM)

0.75 oz HopShot [10.0%] - Boil 60 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Boil 10 min
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Boil 2 min

1.00 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Steep 20 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Steep 20 min
1.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.5%] - Steep 20 min

1 pkgs DIPA YEAST (OMEGA YEAST LABS #OYL-052) - 1.25L starter

2.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.5%] - Dry Hop 5 days
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.2%] - Dry Hop 5 days
1.00 oz Citra [12.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days

Any thoughts?

The only thing I see is your mash profile. You're not going to have a real dry IPA. If that's what you're going for, then I think this recipe looks very good. Good luck with it.

hop profile looks great for a tropical/citrus IPA.
think about the munich. it shouldnt add too much maltiness but decide how much maltiness you want. id either switch it with vienna or more us 2-row. the golden promise should give you enough malt character.
ive never used oats in my IPA yet, but i plan to do it soon. so +1 on the oats and wheat.

mash between 149-152, i've read that the conan strain can sometimes under attenuates first generation.
I am 4 days in with an IPA using that yeast strain for the first time so I cant give personal experience yet.

The only thing I see is your mash profile. You're not going to have a real dry IPA. If that's what you're going for, then I think this recipe looks very good. Good luck with it.

Good point - will put in a little turbinado

hop profile looks great for a tropical/citrus IPA.
think about the munich. it shouldnt add too much maltiness but decide how much maltiness you want. id either switch it with vienna or more us 2-row. the golden promise should give you enough malt character.

Was looking for a little extra background sweetness that Munich has provided me in the past. SInce I have never used it conjunction with Golden Promise, I will probably drop it - at least on this go 'round

Have used this yeast a few times. The attenuation statement seems to be correct. It is a bit light. Last two times made a starter about 25% larger than recommended and I hit target. Not enough test runs to call it statistically significant - but will keep doing it to see if it keeps working.

looks solid to me. Conan is a great strain, mines over 15 generations old and gets me a bit over 80%AA. But I also have read multiple accounts of underperformance the first generation. Some have tried to combat this by making a high gravity starter (1.050-1.060 or so)

Davidcaz,

It does look close. I definitely want to hear the review and catch a glimpse of the finished product

Thanks all for the input. Only been in this since October and recipe design is a bit nerve wracking as I base everything on what I get from reading instead of experience. Everyone's help so far here in HBT has helped me learn a lot in a short time.

Good point - will put in a little turbinado

You could also lower your mash temp (change the mash profile in Beersmith to light body) to help dry it out. The oats and the wheat will help you keep some body in it even with a lower mash temp. For my IPAs, I usually mash in the 148-150 range.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like something I'd like to try! I've been experimenting lots with IPA as of late. It will be interesting to see how the Nelson plays with Amarillo, as that seems like its not a common pairing.

I've been finding lots of success with hopstands when I steep at lower temperatures. Recently, I steeped the flameout additions at 150*F and let naturally cool to 140*F before chilling. That experiment gets bottled later this week.

I would consider raising the oats. Somebody showed me an article the other day that suggested these east coast IPA brewers are using up to 1lb of oats per gallon of wort using multiple step mashing. Not sure how factual it is, but it seems interesting.

I would consider raising the oats. Somebody showed me an article the other day that suggested these east coast IPA brewers are using up to 1lb of oats per gallon of wort using multiple step mashing. Not sure how factual it is, but it seems interesting.

Plan is to do that over time. I need to learn protein rests and other liw temp operations for that part of the mash then add it to the rest of the grist. I figure now I could do the single infusion, baseline the recipe and then grow it.

Plan is to do that over time. I need to learn protein rests and other liw temp operations for that part of the mash then add it to the rest of the grist. I figure now I could do the single infusion, baseline the recipe and then grow it.

Rock and roll. I used 14oz in a 2 gallon batch and had favorable results. Single infusion mash.

Davidcaz,

It does look close. I definitely want to hear the review and catch a glimpse of the finished product

Will do. Brewed yesterday. Expect to loose a ton of beer to trub. Might use a hop bag next time. Everything else went well. Will post on this thread.

Back