Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been awhile since I took the time, really need to do that more often because when you get a really good fly-over it's totally worth breaking out the birding scope.
Looks like there will be a few good opportunities here, weather permitting, in the next few days, ranging from 3 minutes @40° tomorrow evening up to 5 minutes @82° on Tuesday...

Cheers!

Total segue with this, but for airplane fans this is a pretty cool Concorde takeoff/landing sequence compressed into 10 minutes...

Elon is bringing "The Jetsons" to the 21st century - on land and sky.
Four years ago (more or less) the notion of a truly practical electric "car" was a fringe thought.
Two years ago the concept of landing a LEO-capable launcher six times was off-the-charts thinking.

Yet, here we are...
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...-mission-sunday-another-on-tap-for-wednesday/
Pretty much the giga-version of "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Cheers! :D

IMG_5429.jpeg
Pointed the SLR up tonight.

Crew-1 launch this evening at 7:27 PM Eastern. Night launches can be spectacular!
Live broadcast already happening....

Cheers!

[edit] Launch and booster recovery looked flawless. The only apparent glitch is "Propellant Line Heaters" are suddenly a thing, but apparently SpaceX came up with a workaround/fix.

The one thing that strikes me about the Crew Dragon is the apparent spaciousness (no pun intended). Four peeps in the cabin and it still looked like a handful of weirdly dressed folks watching the game from equally weird chairs in someone's living room :D

Last edited:
Check this out: Starship does some badass flying before going subterranian :D
Fast forward to 7:30 on the player timer for the fun!

Cheers! (so much awesome!)

Awesome. I guess the plan is to freefall until the last second, then use the vectored engines to get it vertical and enough thrust to have a soft landing. This minimizes the amount of fuel necessary for the return trip.

Seems that they waited until the last second, plus one.

Can't wait for the next Mars lander in March. I always wondered why they didn't dispatch drones or air balloons to travel longer distances. I believe this one has a drone

I've been reading speculation that one of the two Raptor engines failed to relight during/after the "flip", and I did notice there was only one engine lit in the last few seconds shot under SS9 in the video before it switched to a tower or drone view for the crash.

In the video at 11:47 - shortly after the announcer said "two engines to flip" - you can see only one Raptor is energized.
Some speculators think there was skirt debris that clobbered the second engine. I'm wondering if the transition to landing fuel tanks did not work as planned...

Elon does make the best fireworks! I can't wait for them to get this working as good as there other booster landings and see what they come up with next.

SO COOL! Perseverance landed - apparently safely - and is already sending low-res imagery home.
Imagine that the last course correction was like two months ago and they hit the entry window dead nuts. Amazing!
Awesome job by all involved :mug:

NASA put a synchronized video together of the EDL phase of the Perseverance rover.
Pretty cool, though I really wanted to see the heat shield slam into Mars :D

Cheers!

That is bad ass! Also looks one hell of alot like parts of Arizona or Southern Utah. I never thought I wanted a triple display. I was wrong.

@passedpawn @day_trippr Not sure if either of you would be interested but a recent episode of the “How I heard it” podcast had an interview with Dr. Michelle Thaller, Director of communications at NASA Goddard flight center. Its pretty light hearted and not overly technical.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-way-i-heard-it-with-mike-rowe/id1087110764?i=1000510318700

Last edited:
That is bad ass! Also looks one hell of alot like parts of Arizona or Southern Utah. I never thought I wanted a triple display. I was wrong.

@passedpawn @day_trippr Not sure if either of you would be interested but a recent episode of the “How I heard it” podcast had an interview with Dr. Michelle Thaller, Director of communications at NASA Goddard flight center. Its a pretty light hearted and not overly technical.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-way-i-heard-it-with-mike-rowe/id1087110764?i=1000510318700

I bought that book for my neighbor. he's from Baltimore, same as Mike Rowe.

Anyway, I love the podcasts, and also Mike Rowe. I'll give it a listen.

Hahaha! I had downloaded the wrong image it was only a few megabytes.
This time I pulled the massive 600MB tiff file over and slammed that down. Spectacular!
Who knew Windows could handle a file that big for a background :D

Cheers!

Hahaha! I had downloaded the wrong image it was only a few megabytes.
This time I pulled the massive 600MB tiff file over and slammed that down. Spectacular!
Who knew Windows could handle a file that big for a background :D

Cheers!

Yessir! The higher def one looks far better. Seems to be improved color depth, too, as the compressed one has noticeable problems with the color gradients in the sky.

Here's the link to the better images:

https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25640/mastcam-zs-first-360-degree-panorama/

In 1993 I had a PC with a 12 MHz 10286. Those were days... I had a DOS program which showed very clearly the Mir space spation in the starred sky. You could put the program's clock 2 minutes in advance, and get out in the balcony and see the Mir passing through the sky. If memory serves, it was intermittent and if you knew where to look at and the sky was clear, you would see it.

And now, for something completely different, Starship sticks the landing! :ban: but then self-destructs anyway :oops:
They'll get there...

Sure looked like they used three Raptors for the "flip" but only a single for touchdown. Also, note the "bounce" on touchdown. Perhaps that busted a methane line that led to the "rapid unscheduled disassembly" :D

Last edited:
On-topic: This evening's ISS fly-overs in the Greater Boston Area. A longie at 7:52 with a decent peak elevation...

Fri Mar 19, 7:52 PM6 min64°10° above SW14° above ENE Facebook Twitter
Fri Mar 19, 9:29 PM2 min21°10° above WNW21° above NW Facebook Twitter

Cheers!

This is so cool! The science of calibrating the entire design of the Ingenuity "chopper" based on the Martian atmosphere, and then creating the software autonomy that allowed it to fly totally on its own, makes my inner and outer nerd so pleased they pulled it all off :drunk:

I will say that first flight kinda "over-stuck" the landing by just a tad. I expect they'll work on that :)

Cheers!

With the, almost, complete lack of air pressure, I was surprised any lift could be generated. NASA obviously tested this on Earth first so had no doubt it would work. Looking forward to what lays ahead for the little one.

Back