Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that's an office view you're a lucky dood! :)
I watched a shuttle launch from the parking lot of the Red Sox spring training facilities in Winter Haven once - so that'd be roughly one third the way from where you are to the Cape.

On a perfectly cloud-free day it was still brighter than the sun from our vantage point...

Cheers!

The upcoming flight will feature the Crew Dragon manned capsule mounted atop the Falcon 9 rocket. The success/failure ratio of each rocket is under it. You can see the relative size of each. (note the soyuz rocket, workhorse of the USSR/Russia.

1589513154327.png

Crew Dragon

It sits on top of the rocket. It has its own safety system to eject it from the rocket in case of failure. Its 8 Super Draco thruster engines push it away from the rocket (Falcon 9). It then falls back to earth, slowed by 2 drogue parachutes, then later 4 main chutes.

This following video from 4 months ago.

Last edited:
Anticipation building, but as always, Mother Nature shall have her say, and a weather hold seems possible.
Launch is still scheduled for 4:33 p.m. EDT (2033 GMT) ...

Cheers! (and fingers crossed it launches - and goes perfectly to plan!)

I would expect the SpaceX youtube channel would be the go-to for a replay.

The Spousal Unit and I were taking the long way home from our youngest son's house after visiting our 8 month old grandson and my watch started beeping at 3pm - launch alarm! We got home at t-10 minutes - found we'd lost power so all the STBs needed to be woken up and the UPS on my workstation had put it into hibernation! Yikes! Mad scramble but we were up on the big screen at t-90 seconds.

tbh I was loaded with trepidation, but they pulled it off. Everything apparently went perfectly including landing the booster at sea. Gave me goosebumps watching the booster take off and stage all the way through. Very cool :)

Cheers!

I got excited thinking the ISS was going to be in view tonight, but then realized it's an old posting.

I got to see the launch today and loved it. Got to admit, I was a bit nervous during lift off. I remember the Challenger explosion when I was in high school, so that always seems to ride on my mind whenever I get to see any launch with a crew.

I got to visit the Kennedy Space Center last year when the family and me went to Universal studios. We had an extra day, so went there. If you are even remotely interested in space, I highly recommend going there. IMO, if that was the only place I could have went on our vacation last year, it would still be worth going.

Did anyone else have visions of Strange Brew whenever you heard Bob and Doug's names?

Bit of a post-launch scare when the spacecraft passed through earth's shadow, got cold, and went into safe mode.
From everything I've read since, it appears nobody considered this!
Anyway I guess once it emerged from the shadow and got out in the "open" it warmed up enough for testing to show all would be fine once it woke up.
Woof...

Flying Thermos Bottles!

Love the background voices waiting for the dust to clear to see if that bigass beer can was upright :D

Last edited:
That was cool to see!

An issue I wonder about is what if one of the legs hangs up and doesn't drop? Would that make the 6 leg version a better option?

Or, why are the legs just permanently on there? I'm sure there is a reason they went to a leg that tucked, then drops down, but was wondering why a permanent extended leg wouldn't work.

That thermo bottle will eventually morph into Starship, which will ride into space atop a Superheavy launcher.
Having legs sticking down likely complicates the integration between the two...

Cheers!

I recall the basis of this article and thinking to myself "these mf'ers have huge 'nads to do this sh*t".
Still feel the same.

btw, we have officially arrived at the point that Falcon 9 flights and clean launcher landings are totally unremarkable (but still so totally awesome!)
The launcher arrives around the 1:20 mark...

Really, how freakin' cool is that! :D

Cheers!

As routine as these launches have become, this particular mission included launcher return to a land based pad.
The landing video is really cool - I don't recall seeing the top-down view right to the pad before.
Skip to 24 minutes in...

Cheers!

SpaceX had a camera mounted on the launcher and they cobbled together a short flight film from that perspective that's pretty cool.

Also, they had a cam on one of the fairing halves...

Cheers!

I spotted it. Was out on the deck with the dog. Saw slower moving bright light, thought it was plane but it was not flashing, then the light faded, went and checked the location on the ISS tracker, and it was over head. I will have to keep track better for next time

Back