spilled some tap water in yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
spilled some tap water into a RO water yeast starter. probably about 3 shots worth spilled into a 2L starter when chilled prior to pitching. the water is drinkable, just probably high in chlorine and alkalinity. any worries about this? i doubt infection, more worried about the small amount causing chloramine off flavors due to the yeast production in the starter.

you are fine. I highly doubt 3 oz of water would produce any off flavors in your beer. any chemicals in the water are at such low concentrations to begin with, diluting it into what i presume at least 5 gallons is going to make them virtually undetectable.

yea, you're fine. 2-3 oz is a drop in the bucket and will not produce any detectable changes in flavor.

i know im probably over critical, but i suspect chlorophenols in my last pale ale because i was rinsing equipment with the same tap water. kind of a vinyl/plastic flavor. i use RO and build with minerals to below 100 ppm.

you spilled ~6 oz in 640oz of otherwise good water.
Does your water taste bad to you straight out of the tap? If you dilute it 100x and add all of the flavors associated with beer I doubt there is any way you could taste it. I don't even know if boiling it removes more than 99% of the chlorine.

You've already spent too much time worrying about this - it'll be fine.

when i first started out, i used straight tap water to top off extract batches when transferring to the fermeter. thats like 2.5-3 gallons of tap water in a 5 gal batch. my beers weren't great, but weren't bad either.

Back