Spike Vs SS Brew Tech?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmalek55

Reaction score
So im pretty new to all grain brewing, and im currently building a single tier brew stand. Im building it big enough to go from 10 gal to 50 gal kettles for future growth. I plan on starting with 15 or 20 gal kettles either SS Brewtech or Spike Brewing. Any suggestions? Im leaning towards Spike due too the welded fittings and overall craftmanship.

Just from the looks of the 2 it looks like the Spikes gives a better value with a similar price and the welded couplers

I think the new spike v3 kettles are really nice looking. If I were doing it now, that would be my first stop. Of course the new blichmann are almost entirely made in the USA now, so I would also put those on my list on principle but YMMV.

I got an SS brew tech because it comes with the hole configuration I wanted (two vertical holes for a valve and thermometer, one up top for whirlpool return) and the price includes the dip tube and ball valve.

I also prefer the weldless fittings as they are much easier to disassemble and clean which means I do it more often

I got an SS brew tech because it comes with the hole configuration I wanted (two vertical holes for a valve and thermometer, one up top for whirlpool return) and the price includes the dip tube and ball valve.

I also prefer the weldless fittings as they are much easier to disassemble and clean which means I do it more often

It's the opposite; welded fittings are way easier to clean. That's the main reason I switched from Blichmann to Spike is for the welded fittings. To install/uninstall accessories you don't even need tools. I just hand tighten my valve and thermo into position.

I have a Spike welded kettle and you won't get any better kettles for the price. The welds are immaculate, along with the quality of the kettle.

There isn't any disassembly required with welded couplers. Plus there is 0 chance for leaks and you can use caustic cleaners and not worry about it eating away the rubber seals. Not sure what you bean by clean more often...I jut run oxyclean free with my pump through my setup and I've never had an infection, there isn't any place for bacteria to grow.

I purchased 3 20G kettles from Spike. When they showed up, I was amazed at the quality. One of the sight glasses broke during shipping and they replaced it within a couple days.

My vote definitely goes to Spike.

Unless you are fully filling the threaded areas you can get build ups of gunk in the threads. It's easier to completely remove the entire fitting and clean it separately from the pot. This probably varies depending on your kettle size, batch size and burner configuration, but it's a factor which may be worth considering.

I assemble my weldless fittings by hand too so no difference there. Whether you think they're easier or not is probably up to you. I do so I said so. YMMV.

Caustic cleaners won't damage silicone so that's no different either.

You'll be very happy with whichever kettle you get. I'm happy with my SS one and would probably be just as happy with a spike. I picked the SS because it already has the third hole for a whirlpool arm and is also somewhat cheaper than the spike would have been once you added the cost of the valve and dip tube. Not bad reasons for sure.

I am very pleased with my Spike kettles.
For 10 gallon batches, I would recommend the 20 gallon kettles for BK and MT. You can probably go smaller for the HLT.

I actually just bought new kettles from Custom Built Brewing. They are small but their work is awesome. They made me kettles EXACTLY how I wanted them and shipped them for free! I had previously looked at Spike but these were a better deal. Sanitary welded fittings and came with a ball valve and thermometer

I went with spike recently they are awesome kettles super heavy duty the welds look amazing. I had them custom weld all my fittings to the configuration I wanted over all It was only about 200 more than ss brew tech which I think was well worth it for all welded fittings. Im sure you will be happy with either one. Personally I would go bigger than what you think you need so you don't need to upgrade anytime soon..

If you have to wonder if you need a bigger kettle then you almost certainly do.

+1 for Spike and welded. They will also do custom locations as previously stated. I had my 30G kettle setup with fittings low enough for 10G batches if desired and it works beautifully!

And if deciding between the two sizes, go with the 20G... :) You'll be glad you did!

Spike stuff is extra sexy. I rely more on my thermoworks temp probe and move it from HLT to MT to BK because I don't like variation in my measuring equipment and don't rely on the dial gauge I have in my MT since its probe is only 2-3" long. That being said, I like the a la carte style of ordering from Spike and if you don't want a sight glass, they're as good or better than Blichmann. To compare these to SS BT is almost unfair.

I've been looking at SS Brewtech versus Spike and ended up buying a 10 gallon from SS Brewtech this morning. I already have a Brewmaster Bucket and have been extremely impressed with the build and quality. I've also been happy with their responsiveness to e-mails.

As to welded versus welded - it's all personal preference. My equipment's used weldless fittings, but I haven't had infection issues due to good cleaning practices. Every 4-5 batches I'll unthread the weldless bulkheads for a good PBW soak and StarSan rinse, but never notice much gunk.

If you want to talk about value, you get more bang for your buck with SS Brewtech since you get the valve, trub dam and dip pipe included in the price.

Or the TL;DR version:
Spike = Welded fittings
SS Brewtech = More stuff

And the base pots are all made in China anyway likely by the same factory. The choice is largely whether you want welded fittings. If you consider them to be valuable then Spike is worth the extra money.

While I'll agree that weldless fittings are preferred, this is a brew kettle so honestly how much difference would it make? For a fermenter, or any cold contact type vessel I would prefer welded, but for a kettle I honestly think it makes little difference since the kettle is heated, and kept at a sustained high heat temp for usually at least an hour so that sanitizes itself.

My original model Blichmann kettle uses weldless fittings and I've been using it 4 years or so now and have never once removed the thermometer or ball valve and have never had any issues. I do clean the inside of the valve with a diptube brush, but I've never removed it. I even feel comfortable with weldless on my fermenters, but if when buying them I had the option to pay for upgraded weldled fittings I'd had done it in a heartbeat.

Rev.

I dont see what pulling the weldless fittings apart does for anything? The only time I can see benefit is in a fermenter really... as others have said the boil sanitizes and no liquid gets past he seal so they should be clean when you pull them apart? To each his own but I never touch mine.. never an issue either.

You can check out Brulosophy for an actual concrete example of an infection derived from hot side contamination.

It's simply a matter of preference really. I like being able to spin off the entire fitting in a matter of seconds and soak the whole thing. No threads left uncleaned.

Back