Spike mash tun prob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavis740

Reaction score
Scared to install the pickup tube into its hole in the center of the tun’s false bottom. Feels as if Im gonna bend the tube. And also it dont seem asnif its gonna line up w the hole

I'm having same (at least similar) problem. @Beavis740 Did you get it figured out?

Are you disassembling the false bottom after every brew to clean below? I find it pretty hard to assemble but really hard to disassemble. Works really well during pash and lauter, surprisingly great flow through this thing but thinking there must be some trick to take it apart.

I'm using false bottom in 20 gallon Spike NPT kettle. So far to assemble and disassemble I've been pressing down on the false bottom itself, right near the hole, with one hand while turning the dip tube with the other hand but I'm gonna need more arm strength before I'd call that easy to do.

Last edited:
I brew with the 30 gallon spike kettles, over 3 or 4 years now I don't have a problem with mine. My wife cant usually get it as it is a bit tight, maybe previously working as a mechanic gives me an advantage here. I do remove it every time for cleaning and replace it after it hangs to dry for a day or two. When I put it back in I just wet the end that goes in the push fitting so it doesn't mess up the oring. I start with it turned to the left so I can use my right hand to lift up and my thumb to turn and push it into place. Maybe the pick up tube being a little longer on my 30gal version makes this easier as well.

I brew with the 30 gallon spike kettles, over 3 or 4 years now I don't have a problem with mine. My wife cant usually get it as it is a bit tight, maybe previously working as a mechanic gives me an advantage here. I do remove it every time for cleaning and replace it after it hangs to dry for a day or two. When I put it back in I just wet the end that goes in the push fitting so it doesn't mess up the oring. I start with it turned to the left so I can use my right hand to lift up and my thumb to turn and push it into place. Maybe the pick up tube being a little longer on my 30gal version makes this easier as well.

Thanks for confirming you are doing a full clean. I didn't like idea that maybe the design was intended not to do that ... My challange is more getting it apart than getting it together.

I also reached out to Spike and got this feedback...haven't tried it yet but maybe this will help too

One thing that will help here is to unscrew the Quick Connect and move it down the tube. Then place the tube into the false bottom. Slide the QC back to the port and screw it in. See the attached pic, this may help!

Quick%20Connect.jpg

That looks like it would be the easiest way if you're having trouble. And yes I agree it is tougher to get it out, I suppose you could unscrew the fitting again for this part, just seems to eliminate the purpose of a push to fit fitting. Although it's only one fitting out of many in that setup. Maybe it will get easier with time but I feel like mine is still just as snug as it was on the first brewday.

I'm having same (at least similar) problem. @Beavis740 Did you get it figured out?

Are you disassembling the false bottom after every brew to clean below? I find it pretty hard to assemble but really hard to disassemble. Works really well during pash and lauter, surprisingly great flow through this thing but thinking there must be some trick to take it apart.

I'm using false bottom in 20 gallon Spike NPT kettle. So far to assemble and disassemble I've been pressing down on the false bottom itself, right near the hole, with one hand while turning the dip tube with the other hand but I'm gonna need more arm strength before I'd call that easy to do.
I have been lifting the tube as I rotate it. Seems like i will damage the tube by bending it, but it hasnt bent. Hadnt thought to push down on the false bottom that might be smarter. I dont remove/clean after every brew anymore as its too much hassle and actually not needed as the false bottom keeps stuff out really well.

Your not gonna hurt it, I have some marks on my false bottom from the pick up tube hitting it as I turn it in but you're certainly not gonna hurt it, it would take a serious amount of force to actually bend that tube... as for not cleaning each time ummm well here are some pics of the bottom of my mashtun and the underneath of my false bottom after spraying the crap out of with my restaurant style sink sprayer and also scrubbing it without removing the false bottom. I cleaned it the best I could then removed it to see how "clean"it was... or wasn't.
20220111_175435.jpg

20220111_175451.jpg

Moral of the story, disassemble and clean each time. A few extra steps not worth the risk to me.

Back