Spike... I need a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping to get Ben's attention
I started another thread to hopefully get some help with setups like force carb, pressure transfer etc. since we need additional parts (that will hopefully become options from spike in the future)...wonder if Ben could chime in what they might look like.
I'd like to not half ass it only to have a better Spike kit come out.

My other post
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=632024

You can find all the tri clamp fittings you need at Brewers hardware.

This is what I do to multifunction the one TC port on the lid of my conical. PRV on left, Pressure gage on top, on the right is a ball valve to allow "tool changes" without oxygen ingress. During fermentation, I connect a barbed TC with tubing to the ball valve for blowoff. Once fermentation subsides, I connect a TC gas fitting to maintain a CO2 blanket during cold crash and then finally pressurize transfer

thumbnail_img_0124-67988.jpg

Ha sorry to disappoint! This is not in the works as of right now. When the CF15 is out the collar part would be obsolete. We apologize about the wait but the CF15 should be perfect for your needs with 5, 10 and 15g batches!

Can you elaborate more on this? The website says that the CF15 is designed for 10 gallon to 1/2bbl. I started off homebrewing 5 gallon batches and am migrating to up to 15 gallons. I dont brew often so I currently only want to buy 1 fermenter and I would love the flexibility to do a 5 gallon batch or a 15 gallon batch. Thus I have been waiting on the CF15 unitank.

Also, I assume there will be a different cooling coil needed for the CF15, with all the talks of discounts for combined items I hope the CF15 accessories will be available with its release.

We designed our conicals to work with both full and half batches (this goes for every size conical we will release). See below for specs:

CF10
Thermowell: 4.8gal
Sample Port: 2.47gal

There will be about 3.5 gallons of liquid in contact with the cooling coil with a 5gal batch (assuming starting volume is around 5.5g).!

Do you have the same specs for the CF15?

In any event, I think Spike is the way to go over Ssbrewtech and will hopefully be earning my business soon.

I think the CF15 price point will be much better than the Ssbrewtech 1/2bbl unitank equivalent plus you aren't paying for things you may not want which you can buy later anyways. Good job!

In any event, I think Spike is the way to go over Ssbrewtech and will hopefully be earning my business soon.

I think you will be very happy with the Spike. My only nit-pick on my CF10 is I wish they had bent the cooling coil tubes 90 degrees so they would be horizontal vice vertical...like I said, nit-pick! :)

I'm hoping they come out with their PRV, carb stone, etc. very soon and I'm hoping they have an adjustable PRV vice a fixed 15 psi otherwise I'm thinking of going with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Tri-Clamp-SS304-Sanitary-Air-Pressure-Relief-Valve-Open-Pressure-Adjustable-/111773139787

Anyone have any other thoughts on an adjustable PRV?

Can you elaborate more on this? The website says that the CF15 is designed for 10 gallon to 1/2bbl. I started off homebrewing 5 gallon batches and am migrating to up to 15 gallons. I dont brew often so I currently only want to buy 1 fermenter and I would love the flexibility to do a 5 gallon batch or a 15 gallon batch. Thus I have been waiting on the CF15 unitank.

Also, I assume there will be a different cooling coil needed for the CF15, with all the talks of discounts for combined items I hope the CF15 accessories will be available with its release.

I think the CF15 price point will be much better than the Ssbrewtech 1/2bbl unitank equivalent plus you aren't paying for things you may not want which you can buy later anyways. Good job!

It appears they are the same diameter and that the CF15 is just taller (which makes sense from a production cost savings standpoint) So it stands to reason that those volume levels would remain the same. If the cooling coil is long enough I see no reason you couldn't do 5, 10, 15 gallon batches in the same fermenter. I have been eyeballing the CF15 as my second fermenter for this very reason. :mug:

I think you will be very happy with the Spike. My only nit-pick on my CF10 is I wish they had bent the cooling coil tubes 90 degrees so they would be horizontal vice vertical...like I said, nit-pick! :)

I'm hoping they come out with their PRV, carb stone, etc. very soon and I'm hoping they have an adjustable PRV vice a fixed 15 psi otherwise I'm thinking of going with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Tri-Clamp-SS304-Sanitary-Air-Pressure-Relief-Valve-Open-Pressure-Adjustable-/111773139787

In theory, we can find a spring that turns this adjustable PRV into 15psi maximum.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-gas-pressure-relief.html

I googled to find that someone said 1986K92 in the catalog is a replacement of the spring.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/1273/=11yidxn

If that spring result a 55 psi maximum, then 1986K94 might make a 17 psi maximum in theory.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-Tri-Cla...-Valve-Open-Pressure-Adjustable-/111773139787

I think their PRV is available its just not adjustable.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2011/02/build-spunding-valve.html

I was thinking about doing something like this but with a tri clamp instead of the ball lock connector... Not as sanitary as the one you proposed but much cheaper...

The CF15 will be capable of 5, 10 anf 15g batches. The accessories will also be designed for the same sizes. The bottom cone specs will be the same as the cone angle will remain the same; 60*. We sell our equipment 'a la cart' style. You can buy the components you need and/or buy as you go to make it more affordable.

We'd recommend checking out the below fittings. 3/8" tubing quick connects. They can be purchased at any local hardware store. They are our preferred way to connect cooling lines.

6d2a8b0b-25f6-4d3a-bbcf-fdf0a66abbc3_1000.jpg

We'd recommend checking out the below fittings. 3/8" tubing quick connects. They can be purchased at any local hardware store. They are our preferred way to connect cooling lines.

Interesting, I had thought of using those but read that they weren't good for "hard" metals like SS (won't seal properly) and only for copper or tubing (i.e. soft materials).

And while I'm asking questions...any recommendations on cooling pumps (for circulating the glycol through the cooling coil)? The first one I tried I think is under-powered and doesn't provide sufficient flow.

In theory, we can find a spring that turns this adjustable PRV into 15psi maximum.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-gas-pressure-relief.html

I googled to find that someone said 1986K92 in the catalog is a replacement of the spring.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/122/1273/=11yidxn

If that spring result a 55 psi maximum, then 1986K94 might make a 17 psi maximum in theory.

"In theory" :), we might be able to use this one and by unscrewing the cap it would change the set-point of the relief by changing the force on the spring holding the poppet valve disc down (basically how an adjustable PRV works anyway). The question is, how low can you go with minimal thread engagement of the cap?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/15-tc-pressure-vacuum-relief-valve.html

Interesting, I had thought of using those but read that they weren't good for "hard" metals like SS (won't seal properly) and only for copper or tubing (i.e. soft materials).

We've been using them for about 1 year with out testing and they work great! Engineering is saying the glycol pumps we have been testing are between 2-4GPM. Hope that helps!

We've been using them for about 1 year with out testing and they work great! Engineering is saying the glycol pumps we have been testing are between 2-4GPM. Hope that helps!

Which of course leads to the next obvious question...when will your system be released? :)

"In theory" :), we might be able to use this one and by unscrewing the cap it would change the set-point of the relief by changing the force on the spring holding the poppet valve disc down (basically how an adjustable PRV works anyway). The question is, how low can you go with minimal thread engagement of the cap?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/15-tc-pressure-vacuum-relief-valve.html

Will 14.5psi perfectly fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-38-Tri-Clamp-Pressure-Relief-Valve-Vacuum-Breaker-14-5PSI-/122567140705

Guess I can try them and worst case they leak and I have to go back to tubing clamped directly on to the cooling coil stubs.

Is that pump submersible? In the Q&A I thought I read no.

There's a little back and forth in the Q&A, but here is what the seller said:

You don't have to put it in water. It will work as long as the pump is installed below the water surface because it's not self priming.
It's submersible but can't be immersed in hot water exceeding 50°C/122℉.
By Bayite SELLER on June 5, 2017​

Mine is submerged in PG/water currently and has been for a few days. Runs fine.

Is that pump submersible? In the Q&A I thought I read no.

I have a few of these... I switched to the 24v version for brewing because they are quite a bit stronger and are the same price... just an fyi.. I dont know if you need a 3gpm or the 2 gpm 12v one will do in your situation. Ebay is full of them as well.

Ive been using mine for over 4 years now as actual brewing pumps. no issues.

Running my first fermentation (5.7 gallons) in my new CF10. So far so good. The only major problem I had was dropping my sanitized gasket in my wort while trying to place the lid. Next time I'll remove the coils first.

I did have to add a blank to the highest port on the side - for a batch this size the sample port won't work there after dropping the yeast.

Running a Penguin Chiller. Looking forward to a neoprene jacket from Spike - hopefully soon....

I agree on the earlier comments re: elbows on the coils. I was able to kluge something together. Running ½" tubing with the ⅜" coil created a problem for me (no ½" to ⅜" elbow available at the local home improvement stores).

IMG_5390.jpg

Still working on finishing touches on temp control, carb stone and pressure transfer projects. We'll announce once engineering has 100% finished design. :mug:

Any chance you'll offer a cone silicone heater like SS is currently offering with the FTSS? This would be nice for anyone doing partial batches. FermWrap doesn't fit so well on the cone. Thanks.

Which of course leads to the next obvious question...when will your system be released? :)

Any chance you'll offer a cone silicone heater like SS is currently offering with the FTSS? This would be nice for anyone doing partial batches. FermWrap doesn't fit so well on the cone. Thanks.

Yes, we will be releasing a heating and cooling unit later this year :mug:

Still in the testing phase. We can release some teasers soon however. I've seen them and they look amazing!

Yes...anxious. I just got my conical last week and have it set up with my home-built glycol chiller. It's sweating like crazy. Trying to hold off on making something with Reflectrix.

Latest posts

Back